Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3k 4 engine + labour

good o bad

• Total voters

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
if its a stock car then just go buy another car with low klm's or if you've got money invested in it then get a second hand engine off ebay for couple of hundred! i could buy two vs's for that:thumbsup:

bread

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
i don't understand the whole reco engine business, so is it better to rebuild an engine rather than buy a second hand one and place it in, or do you rebuild an engine as a mod, or as a search for performance? oh and how long does it take? just wondering cause it sounds like a hefty job.

oh and by the way eurekamad94 i left one grammatical error in there for you to pick up on;)

BxTom

Reaction score
If was not truing to have a go at you if thats the way it came across. I quoted your post to state some information based upon issues you raised in said post. As stated there plenty of mechanics out there that dont have a clue and there are plenty who know what they're on about. There's alos plenty of people who arent mechanic but know plenty about it like you for example.
I've never priced a kit through repco but $800 could well be what it is or even may be trade.

Your calling me arrogant because what is said is based on a guess? did you not guess aswell that the mechanic is rebuilding it himself? or do you know more about this than the OP??. Luckily i read the original post where he states mechanic would charge him to "remove old engine and install new one". I assumed (yes i know all about assumptions) that implies a different engine not the same one otherwise it would probably go something along the lines of "removal and installation of engine."

So now we assume that all 'new' engines are fully reconditioned by you? Does this only apply to VS ecotecs or are all 'new' motors fully reconditioned by you? Is this worldwide or only in Australia? I know its pedantic, but do you market your reco'ed engines as new engines? As to reading posts, read mine where I clearly stated ;

"not necessarily because of the price but because, from what I think you are saying, the reco engine is done by your local mechanic".

Tom.

Adamvr93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S Pack - 5 speed
i don't understand the whole reco engine business, so is it better to rebuild an engine rather than buy a second hand one and place it in, or do you rebuild an engine as a mod, or as a search for performance? oh and how long does it take? just wondering cause it sounds like a hefty job.

oh and by the way eurekamad94 i left one grammatical error in there for you to pick up on;)

Well it all depends really... obviously it is alot cheaper and alot less work to just buy a secondhand engine and drop it in the car, and theres nothing wrong with doing that.. but a rebuilt engine is basically a brand new engine... pretty much every wearing part is replaced. if you drive it hard or are trying to get decent power out of it then a rebuilt is the way to go.. if its just a family car that you just cruise around in then a rebuild would be a waste of time and money as a secondhand engine is more than good enough for the intended use.
Also i assume alot of people are like me and enjoy building engines, modifying parts, experimenting with different things to see what gives best performance, tuning engines... gives us something to do :D

bread

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
ah sweet no worries, gotta have a hobby, i would suck at rebuilding an engine though, i think i'd just get lost

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
So now we assume that all 'new' engines are fully reconditioned by you? Does this only apply to VS ecotecs or are all 'new' motors fully reconditioned by you? Is this worldwide or only in Australia? I know its pedantic, but do you market your reco'ed engines as new engines? As to reading posts, read mine where I clearly stated ;

"not necessarily because of the price but because, from what I think you are saying, the reco engine is done by your local mechanic".

Tom.

Lol wtf?? your twisting words to suit you so you can argue whered you come up with new engine?

White410

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Utility
Long Story short boys and girls (As some of you sound like 81tchs)
$3,000 is resonable for a standard and full re-build

I have just had my block machined by a sister company (to my own) boring it out .020" To do 6 bores at trade prices is near $300 alone thats with out them spending 2 hours cleaning out the block (Oil & Water passage ways) or acid bathing the block before they even think about boring!
Then add another $120 to have the crank linished and a further $350 to have thhe bottom end balanced
The pistons i brought are $470 a set (Custom but standard around $120 @ set)

Thats only half of my bottom end and i haven't touched the top yet

So i have to say $3000 dollars for a re-build again is a good price

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun

I have just had my block machined by a sister company (to my own) boring it out .020" To do 6 bores at trade prices is near $300 alone thats with out them spending 2 hours cleaning out the block (Oil & Water passage ways) or acid bathing the block before they even think about boring!
Then add another $120 to have the crank linished and a further $350 to have thhe bottom end balanced

thanx mate.

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun

thanx mate.

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
$300 to bore engine you got riped hard i get charged 20 per bore =$120