Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3rd Gear Till 70

Mungus

SSV364
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV Sportswagon
HI ALL, I WOULD LIKE TO PLOD ALONG IN 60K ZONES AND 50 AS THEY BECOME MORE WIDESPREAD IN 4TH BUT MY AUTO STAYS IN 3RD GEAR UNTILL I HIT ABOUT 70K's. WILL I NEED TO PUT ONE OF THOSE KITS IN, OR IS THERE SOME RETUNING THAT CAN BE DONE WITH THE COMPUTER. I HEAR THOSE KITS CAN MAKE YOUR SHIFTS A BIT HARSHER AND I'M NOT AFTER THAT, THE AUTO CHANGES ARE NICE THE WAY THEY ARE EXCEPT FOR THIS SPEED RELATED PROBLEM.
ANY ADVISE OUT THERE?
THANKS, MUNGUS

Mungus

SSV364
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV Sportswagon
Scuse My English But What Does Tvc Mean

stockvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec,honda civic,mazda626
throttle valve cable just a guess

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Yeah the car should be in fourth at 55 onwards, so might need to see your gearbox bloke.

upthetiggers

Kill Cane Toads!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Mine stays in 3rd untill about 70-80 at which point the tacho drops to 1600rpm. I wouldn't like 4th to be engaged at any lower speed in my car.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
2Fast2FuriousDude said:
Yeah the car should be in fourth at 55 onwards, so might need to see your gearbox bloke.

55! that definetly doesnt sound right :rofl:
if thats the case you SHOULD see the gearbox bloke.

if 4th hits at 55, does it top out at 120km/hr. :yeah:

mine goes into fourth between 70 and 80 without power button.

Mungus

SSV364
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV Sportswagon
Thanks guys, Not sure about the relevance of the throttle valve cable, however i might go and see a gearbox mechanic and see what he reckons.
Just rang one and he says that's how they are, and you wouldn't want it to change any earlier as it will load up the gearbox too much. He also says that with the late VT models and onward they have what is called EC3 that is there are three computers controlling all this and one of them is related to the throttle position sensor. Also cleared up another question i had relating to what seems like an o/drive in 2nd, 3rd & 4th which is actually the point where the gearbox converter actually locks up to a direct drive.
Once again thanks for your input.
Mungus

Cal.oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan Pathfinder
depending on how much stick i am giving mine, it goes into 4th about 55 - 60, but when it gets into 4th the revs are bloody low. if i am accelerating normally goes in about 70 i think.

Mungus

SSV364
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV Sportswagon
Seems about right Cal Oz. Every now and then if i accelerate really, really lightly it will change into 4th at about 60 and only the slightest tap on the accel. will change it back to 3rd. I spose if i wanted that much control i should hav got a manual. First auto i've had and i'm ot sure which i prefer yet. :unsure: I mean i like the auto but :unsure: