Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3rd Gear Till 70

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
DeanoVT said:
55! that definetly doesnt sound right :rofl:
if thats the case you SHOULD see the gearbox bloke.

if 4th hits at 55, does it top out at 120km/hr. :yeah:

mine goes into fourth between 70 and 80 without power button.

Umm my VN V6 Commodore does the same thing. :hit:

stockvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec,honda civic,mazda626
Mungus said:
Thanks guys, Not sure about the relevance of the throttle valve cable, however i might go and see a gearbox mechanic and see what he reckons.

ithought this also contributes :unsure: when tit changes gear?

Mungus

SSV364
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV Sportswagon
stockvp said:
Mungus said:
Thanks guys, Not sure about the relevance of the throttle valve cable, however i might go and see a gearbox mechanic and see what he reckons.

ithought this also contributes :unsure: when tit changes gear?

From what the g/box bloke says about the throttle position sensor i think you might be right. Sounds like they are both related.

stockvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec,honda civic,mazda626
yeah i thought so i been having same problem the tvc cable actually gets stuck on the vp on the throttle body you push the tvc clip in pull that cable then turn your throttle open full repeat this a couple of times should fix it otherwise it will need to filed or sum thin

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
It's not supposed to go into 4th until atleast 70 km/h. Rev's would be way too low in 4th for 50k's and hour. Your gearbox would kick back a gear with the slighest touch of the accelerator.
Why do you want it to go to fourth?
How high are you rev's doing 60 km/h in 3rd?

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
What are you talking about?
Of course it goes into 4th. Keep your foot on the accelerator and see for yourself. It will rev up as high as necessary until the next gear change and change a total of three times that equals four gears. If it goes into a "neutral" state then why would the engine rev higher as the speed increases?

Mungus

SSV364
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SSV Sportswagon
TigerVX said:
What are you talking about?
Of course it goes into 4th. Keep your foot on the accelerator and see for yourself. It will rev up as high as necessary until the next gear change and change a total of three times that equals four gears. If it goes into a "neutral" state then why would the engine rev higher as the speed increases?

Not sure what you mean by neutral state TigerVX, however checked out the speed relation to changes and this is what happens which i now accept and am happy with! These are ballpark figures within about 50rpm.
3rd - 60k - 1500rpm
3rd - 70k - 1800rpm
4th - 70k - 1400rpm
4th - 80k - 1550rpm
4th - 110k - 2000rpm
4th - 180k - 3100rpm
These figures are taken after the converter locks up. There is a 200-300rpm drop when the converter locks.

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
Mungus said:
Not sure what you mean by neutral state TigerVX, however checked out the speed relation to changes and this is what happens which i now accept and am happy with! These are ballpark figures within about 50rpm.
3rd - 60k - 1500rpm
3rd - 70k - 1800rpm
4th - 70k - 1400rpm
4th - 80k - 1550rpm
4th - 110k - 2000rpm
4th - 180k - 3100rpm
These figures are taken after the converter locks up. There is a 200-300rpm drop when the converter locks.
Oh thats not my wording. If you read my post again you will see that I was questioning this "neutral" remark. There was a post between my last two that has since been deleted. I guess who ever posted it realised what they said was stupid and has since deleted the post. I should have hit the quote button instead of the post reply button but it went something along the line of:
The car doesn't go into fourth but rather it goes into neutral then drops back into gear when you touch the accelerator.

I didn't make any sense what so ever.

Reaction score
Website
members.dodo.net.au
Members Ride
VT 'S' Supercharged V6
Remember 4th is OVERDRIVE for highway driving...you really should be in 3rd at such low speeds. When you are sensing a downshift from 4th to 3rd you may be actually feeling just the TCC disengaging relative to throttle position and road speed. Forcing the trans to stay in 4th at such low speeds is not good long term..let it rev a little more in 3rd...its the way its designed to work ;)