Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4 Corners 'Peak Oil'

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
jules said:
are you sure? i thought petrol and diesel were both at .38.

Well I know there is a seperate tax on Diesel that was meant to dropped when the GST came in which was why the diesel grant scheme, now the energy grant scheme was introduced. It was in the readings the goverenment sent me when I was applying for the scheme back in 01.

Last edited:

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
i know what you mean now. i believe those schemes apply to heavy vehicle operators. the new one allows operators to show evidence of a maintenance schedule being followed and they get a rebate on the cost of diesel.

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
jules said:
i know what you mean now. i believe those schemes apply to heavy vehicle operators. the new one allows operators to show evidence of a maintenance schedule being followed and they get a rebate on the cost of diesel.

Yep as of the start of july 06, vehichles have to meet a standard of emmission laws to get the grant. I think it's to get rid of all the old diesel trucks that arnt maintained very well.

Marco-EFIVL

Now driving R34 GT-T taxi
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan Skyline, R34 GT-T (RB25DET NEO) sedan
Yeah great programme I must say...

However, I doubt we are REALLY feeling the effects of an oil shortage atm... My mate's father works in Singapore for 'Diamond Offshore', a drilling company that run offshore drilling rigs, and from some of the things I've discussed with the man. Petroleum companies (ie: BP, EXXON, Shell ect ect) all work on a ridiculous 250% - 280% annual profit margins. So even after tax and costs, these companies are aquiring growth of over 200% annually. So really, between the fuel companies being the price makers, and the governments of the world whacking us with excise... Us consumers are being bent over the barrell majorly...

That said, I think these inflating prices are good in a way, oil is something the world has taken for granted, nothing pisses me off more than the American 'Every man and his chevy V8'. I'll be glad to see an incentive for more efficient usage of petroleum.

If we are in a bit of a pickle with this 'peak oil' problem, I hope to God they ( the speculative exploration companies), find this much revered oil they've been talking about in Siberia. In this basin, and in the surrounding areas, there (apparently) lies more oil than has ever been drilled in the world to date, I hope they are right, and I hope they find it.... Fast...

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
It all depends on whether the oil is profitable to drill. There was some years back a French (I think) company who wanted to do seismic surveys off the edge of the continental shelf beyond the Great Barrier Reef, as there were good signs of oil deposits of a huge size out there. The reason is that much of that area was above water millions of years ago.
The government immediately cracked a darky and refused them permission. The environmental mob went off, the public was frightened by images of oil spills and so-on.
One fact was forgotten...when oil gets beyond $100 a barrel, or starts to get scarce, places which were uneconomic to drill will suddenly look promising, and in a worst case scenario, a drilling rig could be placed out there with a few gun boats and tankers and they could say to the government and greenies "The worlds energy needs come first, and this is outside the legal 12 mile limit and is in International Waters, even if it isn't outside your 200 mile fishing limit. Go away."

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
Wombat said:
It all depends on whether the oil is profitable to drill. There was some years back a French (I think) company who wanted to do seismic surveys off the edge of the continental shelf beyond the Great Barrier Reef, as there were good signs of oil deposits of a huge size out there. The reason is that much of that area was above water millions of years ago.
The government immediately cracked a darky and refused them permission. The environmental mob went off, the public was frightened by images of oil spills and so-on.

The GBR makes more money than drilling that area for oil will. While there is only a small chance of a spill it was probably the right decision to leave it alone.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
There are a few world resources 'locked up' by other land use issues. In Australia , a lot of good quality coal is under national parks and (very) productive farmland or cities like Sydney. At the moment, we're not anywhere near "Peak Coal", but maybe in 100 years or so..., epecially if coal to liquid fuels are adopted.

Today, it was mentioned that the BP Alaskan oil pipeline failure might mean prices around A$1.80/ litre. mmm.

We (the world) is in a bit of **** re. energy, or soon will be. The US consumes about 20 something % of world oil annually but I think their population is only around 300 million. How are China and India going to consume any where near that level with over 2 billion? Then there is the rest of the world. And it's further complicated by the necessity to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Oil will be the first one to run down. Natural gas, because it produces lower CO2 per unit energy and will be in increasing demand for stationary power as well as transport, will likely be next and it will probably run down with less warning because of the way in which it can be extracted.

It's going to take a little bit of everything to get through, I think. Increasing efficiencies are often the easiest to implement and that affects all of us who drive large (by implication heavy) cars like Commodores. Running costs, mostly fuel, will be high but so will depreciation as everyone wants to move into more fuel efficient vehicles.