Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4 into 1 long headers issue

Skaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Fitted a set of 2nd hand 1"3/4 Di Filippo Headers to my VE 6 litre Commodore recently. Have a ticking like noise and it is annoying the hell out of me especially when sitting next to other cars at the lights and my cars ticking away almost like a lifter tick. Went to an exhaust shop and they are certain its the collectors at bottom of the headers causing that tick like noise. Reckon its a fairly common with the long 4 into 1 header set up iv got.
Can anybody comment on whether this is true or even whether it can be quietened down at all because the tick noise is annoying and getting sick of people commenting that I may have a lifter issue

Last edited:

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
It's common to hear more mechanical valve train noise after fitting headers.

Skaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Yea thanks mate I did have stainless 4 into 1 xforce headers on there previously and they were quiet in the valve train area compared to these headers. These Di Filippo headers look like old mild steel items.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
It's common to hear more mechanical valve train noise after fitting headers.

This!!! Also, being S/H, make sure none of the header pipes have a cracked weld where they meet the collector.

Long tube headers usually hang down lower than standard and are subject to more damage on lowered cars.

Jamie_vzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss ls1
I have 4-1 longtube mild steel pacemakers on my ls1,i noticed a similar noise not so bad at idle but can hear it when u put the boot up it at low revs.
I think its to do with headers being thinner than cast manifold etc also collectors as you mentioned.

Skaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I'll do that, could be a cracked weld down there somewhere the tick is louder down behind the front wheels. I'll check them out thanks fellas

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
It's more than likely an exhaust leak if you can pinpoint it to one area of the exhaust system. I would think that valvetrain noise would be amplified overall, but not be louder further down the exhaust

Skaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Can you spray something at it to pinpoint the leak while its running on jack stands? I was gonna chuck some gloves on and press a rag around the collector area as well as the collector flange to find the source if it don't get too hot too quick

Skaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I noticed the outfit that made my 3" cat back system didn't use the front exhaust hangers behind the gearbox so Im guessing there be a far bit of weight between the manifold flanges and the hangers at the diff housing. Wonder if that could be half my issue and the exhaust has been flexing with the collectors and caused a crack or leak.

Last edited:

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
I had this problem with my 4-1 Difilippo headers. It's not a common issue but occurs in some headers, their is a dodgy weld in the collector. If you bought them new it would be replaced under warranty, second hand you're probably on your own.

I have posted a video on here check in my started threads, If it's the same sound it's the same problem.