Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

427ci turbo suggestions

Ddridan

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ R8 Clubsport
Hi guys, I'm currently in the process of building a low compression 427ci for my VZ Clubsport and wanted a few tips on turbo set up. I'm not chasing 1200hp, but would like to see 600-700 through a TH400.
I recently had a look at a kit that used 1-1/2" steam pipe headers with 4-1 merger and 2.5" crossover kit was made to suit a GT42. My question is would the pipe work be too restrictive for the 427 and would the turbo be too small to hold boost for decent rpm range?
Cheers guys.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Define decent rpm range?

probably better to ask garrett/engine builder unless you know how to read compressor maps

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Not sure on the turbo setup but if it was NA I'd think 1-1/2" ID primaries is a bit on the small side for 427ci?

On an LS7 (same capacity) I'd be looking for 1-7/8" primaries.

Put it this way, if you're buying a kit anyway I bet there's bugger all difference in price for bigger pipe, and basically the same labour to weld 'em up, so why not go bigger?

Jake145

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv ute, A6 6.0
Because your not chasing every single horse possible it shouldn't really matter the size but if you were to chase 1200 or so 1-7/8 is a good choice I beleive