Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4L60/65 Tap Shift may be possible

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman SS, VZ Pontiac GTO
Pretty sure he converted from an E40 (VZ HSV) ecu to the E38. They basically got a budget HSV in the 06's, the first ones they got were effectively vy ls1 monaro's.
That's exactly what I did. 04s were also VZ but with LS1, cable throttle, and P0411 ECU. All 3 years have the boot mounted fuel tank.

Torqueup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX,VY,VZ,C6 Z06
Are you using the same OS for both cars? 12609099?
I don't need to use that, so I'll likely use the original 12607218 os. If i get the immobilizer working for the 099 I'll leave it. But all the stuff i've got working in 099 will work in the original OS anyway.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
no. i only need to use the PCS controller on the LS1 engines. the VZ/ve 6lt ecu can talk to the 6l80 natively with some code changes.
Reading some of the threads you're involved in, + what Jason has been saying, this is the path l thought you where taking, without the pcs controller.

Torqueup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX,VY,VZ,C6 Z06
I am. VZ 6lt, no pcs controller. E40 may also be possible. Everything else you need PCS controller.

Alloytecs can probably go to the 6l50 also, but i've not looked at the code for them because i don't drive or tune them.

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
I am. VZ 6lt, no pcs controller. E40 may also be possible. Everything else you need PCS controller.

Alloytecs can probably go to the 6l50 also, but i've not looked at the code for them because i don't drive or tune them.
E40s probably won't control a 6L80 because they are designed to run a 24x crank trigger. I know that T43 TCMs want to see a 58x crank signal, this was one of the hurdles that had to be overcome with the aftermarket controller developed in Arizona for the 6L80.

Torqueup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX,VY,VZ,C6 Z06
I believe this is just a misconception.

There is nothing in the tcm code that requires the engine to be running a 58x reluctor. Since everything they get is transmitted over the canbus they just need at a minimum to receive RPM, Pedal Position & engine torgue figure.

All of which the E40 transmit. Remember they are sending the exact same info to the T42 controller for the 4 speed for it shift.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Alloytecs can probably go to the 6l50 also
I read a few years ago, that it can be done. The person said it depended on the pcm?
I think he said the later model vz was the same or compatible with the early ve?

You where talking earlier about using a 2010 6L80 trans.
l'm using a 2011 6L50 trans, & the pcs controller works on it.

Disregard that, you're not using the pcs controller.
I left it in case other people want to use it.

Somebody else used a vf 6L90, the pcs controller would'nt work with it, but in the end, he got a 6L50 tcm & put in the 6L90.
Had lots of trouble getting the speedo to work, if l remember correctly? But he did.

Torqueup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX,VY,VZ,C6 Z06
So there is some compatibility issues between the tcm's in 2 ways. 1 is the hardware in them not being compatible from 07-09 to 2010 onwards.
Next 1 is just the software settings that prevents even an 09 tune talking to an 08 ecu, but as i've found it's purely software based. Same again in making an 2011 ecu talking to an 06. I've now done it.

Now, without looking at every single tcm OS from 2011 onwards to see if it has the same can id broadcasts i can't say 100% that every trans can be made compatible. But you can easily turn a 2017 vf tcm tune into a 2011..

Just gotta match up the CAN ID requirements.

Now that i understand the above in more detail, what they are doing with the PCS controller makes it simple to understand what they are doing & it shits me that the likes of Haltech have not added the gm can protocol support to run these gearbox's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

Torqueup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX,VY,VZ,C6 Z06
So back to the original topic of the thread. I managed to get tapshift to work on the t42.

I moved the pwr button wire on the PIM to pin 5, then changed tcm tune to turn off Range Selection, but enable DSC mode.

So when in D, hit the PWR button & the dash will show A/S enabled and u can go up gears but it doesn't seem to go down. It's also no where near as quick at shifting a 6L.

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
So back to the original topic of the thread. I managed to get tapshift to work on the t42.

I moved the pwr button wire on the PIM to pin 5, then changed tcm tune to turn off Range Selection, but enable DSC mode.

So when in D, hit the PWR button & the dash will show A/S enabled and u can go up gears but it doesn't seem to go down. It's also no where near as quick at shifting a 6L.
In looking at the factory shift tables in HPTuners for a T42, they don't have values set for downshift margins, so that's probably why it doesn't change down. As far as shfit times, tuning can probably improve that, but I KNEW it could work. I'm surprised Holden never offered it to make automatics a bit more exciting, especially because they already made a steering wheel with pedals.

1716730431062.png