Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4L60E Shift Kit - Gear Selection Firmness Question

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Do all your own tuning do you? I'm trying to find the best avenue for my car to get tuned. Since it's on Dual Fuel and all.

Yeah,Im still learning though, been doing it for a little while now.,Ive got the hang of the basics of it.Ive got my car running a hell of a lot better than it did before with the standard chip,and its better on fuel too.LPG has a high RON (research octane number)so you can run lots of ignition advance when running on LPG,which should give a bit of a performance gain and save some fuel as well..The timing tables are one of the main things Ive changed on my chip,I only run 98 octane fuel ,so can afford to run more ignition advance than when running on normal 91 octane fuel.The more ignition advance you can wind on(to a point),the more efficiently the engine will run,which equals more power and better fuel economy...

Last edited:

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Not too shabby, Exactly what I was gonna do. What's it drive like? Are the shifts extreme?

Depends man, like normal granny driving hardly know the box has been done
Foot down 1st-2nd gear chirps and such and harder shifts

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
It is a trait that the 4L60E can slam it into gear and also hard shift from 1st to 2nd even on completely stock boxes. It is usually made worse if your TPS is worn out (i.e. it runs more line pressure then it should at part-throttle) or the ATF is old.

Jacko84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina soon to be 5L
could be pressure control soliniod playing up

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Trayner- sounds like what I want. That would be the transgo kit i'd imagine. I'd like to be able to drive it somewhat normally when cruising, but heavy shifts when hammering :)

I'm wondering if I should even bother though and just go for a rebuilt and strengthened box - While on this topic does anyone know what would cause my transmission to not shift out of first under full throttle? Doesn't do it every time but it enough to be annoying - and it feels like it's not getting all the power through to the wheels too if that makes sense.

TPS is brand new, the trans has been serviced recently.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Yeah,Im still learning though, been doing it for a little while now.,Ive got the hang of the basics of it.Ive got my car running a hell of a lot better than it did before with the standard chip,and its better on fuel too.LPG has a high RON (research octane number)so you can run lots of ignition advance when running on LPG,which should give a bit of a performance gain and save some fuel as well..The timing tables are one of the main things Ive changed on my chip,I only run 98 octane fuel ,so can afford to run more ignition advance than when running on normal 91 octane fuel.The more ignition advance you can wind on(to a point),the more efficiently the engine will run,which equals more power and better fuel economy...

Yeah I've heard that LPG has a higher octane level, also that LPG needs much finer ignition timing. Arghhh! I really want to get it tuned! The only person who is offering dual fuel memcal tunes is Blackstar7000 on ebay, and I've heard he's not very good :(

HALP!

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR

do you want to share the love ?

nothing wrong with my VX but firmer shift would be nice

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
do you want to share the love ?

nothing wrong with my VX but firmer shift would be nice

Nice thread dig :)

Pretty sure the VX ECU's have to be flash tuned, so unless you are nearby I don't think brett can help you out.
The older ECU's VN-VT could be tuned with a memcal, which can be programmed and mailed :)

billy bob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SV6
I got quoted $700 from a transmission shop for a shift kit to be fitted. So I got a DIY one from shiftkits.com.au
For $70 it ups the line pressure for firmer shifts
It really thumps when you put it in drive to, but once going is heaps better

ScufVZwags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX8
Iv had the stage 2.5 shift kit with larger boost valve and servo piston put in. also extended my shift point.
Just the other day I blew my auto up. Costing 2750 for a new one. Not happy