Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4L60E VX V6 issue

2000.vx.exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive, 1998 VT Exec 304 manual, 2007 S
With a flat foot in 1st and 2nd gear I've found that the box seems to slip. What I mean is that for example, when i have a flat foot in 1st, once it hits around 60km/h, it stays on 5k rpm but speeds up really slowly and doesn't shift at all, unless I lift my foot a bit. 2nd did the same at around 110km/h but I haven't tried the other 2 gears.
Any ideas on what the issue is here?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Sounds like the Throttle Position Sensor or shift solenoid A in the trans. Are you getting a check engine light?

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
The symptoms you describe don't sound like a slipping transmission.

If the trans was slipping your revs would go up with a lack of acceleration. Your revs wouldn't match your speed if you understand what I'm saying. You wouldn't have problems getting the engine to redline. Sounds more like you're having trouble with the engine struggling to reach full RPM which could be for numerous reasons that would require diagnosing.

If there's no miss it may be a fuel or air supply issue and that's probably where I'd start looking. Restricted air filter, low fuel pressure would cause symptoms such as you describe and that's where I'd start looking if it's not throwing codes. For example, if your fuel pressure is low (failing regulator, pump or blocked filter) it could cause a lean out at high revs, the knock sensors will detect the lean knock and retard the timing and that would cause the symptoms you describe. Good luck.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
@2000.vx.exec Would have to agree with 204TS not being slipping trans as revs would flare up like convertor stall up, you could try manually shifting up gears like your first post scenario and see if it acts the same to eliminate its the trans. You could also drain auto and refill new fluid to eliminate old fluid from heat/pressure.

If the car is slow in speeding up sounds like a fuel/air problem, even a simple issue like air filter full of water especially in this rainy/windy weather when driving at high speed with wot.
Also when speeding up through the gears with heavy foot the engine will hesitate a lil (TPS) at next gear and usually the trick is to back of pedal a lil and then depress and you will find revs/power go back up properly quickly, I find this happens with mine in the wet conditions I described earlier.

2000.vx.exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
@2O4TS @Vin999 I've tested it 3 times since posting this and it hasn't done it again.

204TS, by 'lack of acceleration' do you mean low throttle application? When it was doing it, it was like accelerating very slowly after 60 and not shifting while the revs slowly increased after 5k RPM and it was not shifting even after holding it for a while. It should usually nearly hit redline and shift around 75km/h.

The car does have a starting issue where it starts for a few seconds and dies but doesn't really idle. It seems like a spark issue to me but the plugs were just replaced about 2 years ago and since then its done about 5,000kms if not less

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
@2O4TS @Vin999 I've tested it 3 times since posting this and it hasn't done it again.

204TS, by 'lack of acceleration' do you mean low throttle application? When it was doing it, it was like accelerating very slowly after 60 and not shifting while the revs slowly increased after 5k RPM and it was not shifting even after holding it for a while. It should usually nearly hit redline and shift around 75km/h.

The car does have a starting issue where it starts for a few seconds and dies but doesn't really idle. It seems like a spark issue to me but the plugs were just replaced about 2 years ago and since then its done about 5,000kms if not less
If your having starting/idling issues as 204TS noted it would be fuel related,,, plugs would make engine idle ruff,,, if severe cut out then check coils and leads,, lack of fuel/pressure engine would cut/gonk out.
Also your shift points are controlled by the ecu from sensors and trans speed sensor so maybe check things, as this could be causing your shift/revs problematic conditions seperate to your start/idle issue and if ecu/sensors check ok then fuel is the concern affecting the changes/revs.

siniSSterbloke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Enough oil in the box? When was it last serviced?
Starting issue could also be IAC gummed up with ****.
but checking leads, plugs n gaps and coils won’t hurt. Those could packs do have a tendencies to **** themselves.

2000.vx.exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
Enough oil in the box? When was it last serviced?
Starting issue could also be IAC gummed up with ****.
but checking leads, plugs n gaps and coils won’t hurt. Those could packs do have a tendencies to **** themselves.
I've looked at the service history but don't remember seeing anything about the trans being serviced. Car was serviced every 9-12 months by the previous owner, I picked up the car 3 weeks ago.

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 vx commofore
Scan it to see if U get a code 73(pressure control solenoide ) that's what I'm hveing to go thru today(just to find out my spare solenoide is different to the one in my box)