Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4l60e

Nighthalk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L
Morning all,

I own a 1999 series 1 VT SS 5.0L holden commodore - (Blown up) automatic transmission

On the drivers side of gear box it has the following details

GMPT
4L60E
To the left of the 4l60e it has the number 47
On the passengers side is also has the number 47
Sticker on top has been removed.

My mate has a auto gearbox sitting at his house which is a 4l60e & he believes it came out of a 5.7L but is unsure, however it has the following details on it

Drivers side - GMPT - 4L60E - number 35
Passanger side - 35
Top - no sticker

The only difference I can see is the bell housing has a extra bolt hole on top.

My questions are:

What is my mates gearbox out of?
Can i use my mates gearbox to replace the current one in my 5.0L? ( permitting I switch bell housing )
If "yes" to the above - is there any further info/changes I need to know about?

Thanks

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
yeah use the gearbox in the 5 litre if you change the bell housing. no one but a seriously well informed GM person will be able to tell you much about the gearboxes from the information given. normally they have a code like "8HBD" or "4HBD" on them

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The transmission identification is stamped into a machined surface at the rear, underside of the transmission centre case (near the pan).

Nighthalk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L
yeah use the gearbox in the 5 litre if you change the bell housing. no one but a seriously well informed GM person will be able to tell you much about the gearboxes from the information given. normally they have a code like "8HBD" or "4HBD" on them

So if I remove bell housing from the 5.0L and put it on the other box is there anything else what could cause issues?

As for the code on the box it kinda sucks both have worn off or Been removed.

Nighthalk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L
The transmission identification is stamped into a machined surface at the rear, underside of the transmission centre case (near the pan).

Had a look where you specified and located the following

1hpd347w 28229681

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
if it has the extra hole at the top its an LS1 box. the codes you cant read dont matter, all LS1 boxes are pretty much the same.

No, chances are you cant just change the bellhousing, it might work....for a while.
The pumps will most likely be different as well as the input spline lengths which means you will be driving the torque convertor with only 10mm or so of spline to gear contact.
it is possible to make your mates box fit but by the time you pull everything apart to swap incompatible parts you may as well get it fully rebuilt as its not a small job.

tyrefryer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodores!
The code you have given means its from a 2001 ls1

Nighthalk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L
Just a couple of pics... My bad about the quality :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 807
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 664
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 564

Nighthalk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L
if it has the extra hole at the top its an LS1 box. the codes you cant read dont matter, all LS1 boxes are pretty much the same.

No, chances are you cant just change the bellhousing, it might work....for a while.
The pumps will most likely be different as well as the input spline lengths which means you will be driving the torque convertor with only 10mm or so of spline to gear contact.
it is possible to make your mates box fit but by the time you pull everything apart to swap incompatible parts you may as well get it fully rebuilt as its not a small job.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm guessing this is one of those touchy subjects as 3 local mechanics basically said the same as you but also 1 tranny shop & two mechanics said switch bell housing and all is good.

Oh we'll, I bought it of my mate anyway, it's only got 100k on it and only paid $100... Ill just offload and make some extra cash to go towards car lol