Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4WDing

Marko_SJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 utility
am still looking at a cheap 4WD just for the bush, whats peoples thoughts on the short wheel bash Toyota land cruiser bundera?

GQ Patrol. tb 42 / rd 28 if its a basher whatever is cheaper or suits you more. Coil sprung, cheap to buy, plenty of locker and gearing options.

SAF Hilux. Reasons being easy RUF, guard cuts and gearing options.

I am quite biased, but a suzuki sierra/vitara/jimny will go where the other **** goes for a fraction of the cost. There are also locker, gearing and lift options very cheap (like a diff lock $200 to my door, brand new, no lie) . A GQ is not much dearer to buy, but IMO go a suzuki if its a hack.

If you get a sierra you can reliably run 33-35 inch tyres on suzuki axles depending on the terrain you drive.

A mate of mine had a triton twin locked on 33's. I went where he went easily (more stabily too as I'm SAF) and that was before I was locked, on pissy little 30's.

Isn't a bundy a coiled hilux with a MWB cruiser body?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I bought my Rangie as just exactly that. As it stands today (if you don't count the first set of tyres) it owes me around $5K. I have done all the work to it myself though. Very capable car.

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
GQ Patrol. tb 42 / rd 28 if its a basher whatever is cheaper or suits you more. Coil sprung, cheap to buy, plenty of locker and gearing options.

SAF Hilux. Reasons being easy RUF, guard cuts and gearing options.

I am quite biased, but a suzuki sierra/vitara/jimny will go where the other **** goes for a fraction of the cost. There are also locker, gearing and lift options very cheap (like a diff lock $200 to my door, brand new, no lie) . A GQ is not much dearer to buy, but IMO go a suzuki if its a hack.

If you get a sierra you can reliably run 33-35 inch tyres on suzuki axles depending on the terrain you drive.

A mate of mine had a triton twin locked on 33's. I went where he went easily (more stabily too as I'm SAF) and that was before I was locked, on pissy little 30's.

Isn't a bundy a coiled hilux with a MWB cruiser body?

Bundera is coil,but a shorter wheelbase that the MWB.Feels like your sitting on the rear wheel.

Marko_SJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 utility
Bundera is coil,but a shorter wheelbase that the MWB.Feels like your sitting on the rear wheel.

All the more reason to buy a GQ then.

LWB sierra for the win.

This is the one I sold to buy a GQ (ran out of cash and now have neither :( ) Was going to cut the guards to run at least 33's, use 6.5:1 gearing and a rear auto locker. That canopy was only on because I was selling! Used to rock it like the one below :cool:

Surprisingly the cops left me alone too :rofl2:

DSC05726_zpsec4d5883.jpg

33's and no cutting, slightly too tall but it can be done

005-54.jpg

Seeing that pic of the green one makes me sad.

SV6 Matt

The Recov Cruiser
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Toyota 105 series Landcruiser
If anyone reads this, does anyone know of any good trails up around the State Forest just north north west of Nabiac NSW? Going to a relatives house this long weekend but cant find any maps online beside the basic main forestry roads? Tried 4x4earth and google custom maps but couldnt find any, thanks.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
So the old 4runner had been rusting away quite badly for some reason, I suspect electrolysis had its part in most of the cancer.

So I decided rather then fix up the panels only to have them rust through again I was going to buy some 2nd hand. I found I bloke around here that wrecks 4runner and he had all the panels I needed but I noticed he had an entire Gen1 4runner shell in near perfect condition. (panel wise)

IMG_1152_zpsd7d9526a.jpg

IMG_1100_zps48a073f3.jpg

The interior is absolutely gutted, not a single thing left so I took all the dash parts from my red 4runner and bought some new carpet which will go in last.

IMG_1102_zps3b05e165.jpg

I only ever intended to just bolt on the new body on and away I went, but as most of you know, it's never that easy.
IMG_1153_zpsa335e431.jpg

IMG_1157_zps560a55e8.jpg

I decided now was as good a time as any to start on the dash and wiring harness. It wasn't all that hard, just time consuming.. I did it in about 4 hours but after sat back and cracked a beer to celebrate (drown my sorrows) the beginnings of something expensive and fun, I realised I hadn't plugged in the cable driven speedo into the back of the dash! F##K!

IMG_1124_zpsd1a3840b.jpg

IMG_1126_zps548f113c.jpg

IMG_1127_zps468660c0.jpg

After tossing the old body I gave the chassis a clean down and it still look like crap not to mention some suspicious rust spots showing so I sanded it back to bare metal and hit it with a 3 step rust penetrator and chassis paint.

IMG_1158_zpsb75599dc.jpg

IMG_1180_zps18ae0f42.jpg

IMG_1189_zps63c4eda0.jpg

IMG_1192_zps59425ff0.jpg

IMG_1191_zps92932b27.jpg

IMG_1199_zpsb2f603e8.jpg

The old leaf springs had seen better days so considering this was an unexpected semi-restoration, cost was always going to be an issue, so I sent them away for a 5 inch reset, and with any luck they will sit about 4 inches in about 12 months time.

I decided to go Automatic as it already has a 304 in it and the standard G52 is quite weak, the diesels even blow them up so i got myself an Auto off a mate which meant I needed to get a transfer case adaptor.

After I received the kit I had to put the new output shaft in and noticed a fair bit of damage to the input drum so it went off to the trans shop to get rebuilt. The mechanic advised me that I should get a decent trans cooler so I ordered a PWR cooler which should do the job just fine.

IMG_1237_zps901a7916.jpg

IMG_0257_zpsd7e6777c.jpg

IMG_0256_zps6a691140.jpg

IMG_1166_zps362d7faf.jpg

IMG_1168_zps1de7cdb8.jpg

IMG_1169_zpse6322870.jpg

IMG_1239_zpsfffb8a21.jpg

Now, as some hilux owners know if you opt for a Holden trans you usually need some fort of B&M shifter or a standard Holden gear surround/ centre console to see what gears you're selecting and personally (just my opinion) I think the B&M's look ghetto and the centre consos are too wide for the hilux tunnel ram, so I found this little beauty on an American website which is basically an LED display for the gear box, it has a control box that the shift bar is linked to and it senses what gear has been selected externally, it doesn't however detect kick down within a gear.

IMG_1235_zps1797f853.jpg

It means you can use the factory centre console and in my case the factory gear stick boot. Im not sure if I will have the machined ring or just remove the LED and have that somewhere. I will be using the standard Holden goose neck.

I hit the axle housings with a flapy sanding disk and hit it with the left over chassis paint, I'm undecided if I will put a gusset in the front but I can always do it at a later stage.

I removed the knuckles for a rebuild and I'm yet to do them but the parts are here.

The engine bay copped a bit of 2pack paint and a few other bits and pieces.

IMG_1171_zps742a112a.jpg

IMG_1173_zps51ae16ef.jpg

IMG_1176_zps2f3f330a.jpg

IMG_1207_zps825a142f.jpg

IMG_1210_zps5f93af7d.jpg

IMG_1211_zps6e658dad.jpg

IMG_1212_zps395cf643.jpg

IMG_1200_zpsec389c34.jpg

IMG_1216_zps1f875967.jpg

IMG_1240_zpsd1a3d7f7.jpg

I bought a High Steer kit for my truck too, I found it on yet another American site and as many 4runner/hiulx owner know, the steering arms are the first to cop a hit from a rock as it sit's infront of the axles and under the leaf pack, this places it all above the leafs.

IMG_1238_zps5bb6ff9d.jpg

I had had enough of the Rancho 9000's and wouldn't recommend them to anyone, so I bought BILSTEIN 14's and 11's from the USA also, and some random things like fuel pumps, head lights and tail lights, a snorkel and other bits and pieces I haven't taken pics of yet.

IMG_1234_zps3d35a261.jpg

The engine copped some left over paint and I recon it looks alight, although I'm not a Bulldogs fan :)

IMG_1227_zps2a075372.jpg

I'll post more pics as it comes along, but this is pretty much where I'm up to at the moment.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
We went out yesterday for a nice easy cruise showing the sites of our local area to a guy from Perth. Went out to Wellington Dam to see it over flowing for the 5th time in 23 years. What should have been an easy day of just basically bush driving, turned into 3 recoveries and a smashed rear uni. One recovery was due to a centre diff lock actuator not engaging and losing 4WD on a slippery corner, the other two were the result of a twin locked 80 on 35's trying to go where I took my Rangie and got stuck. Then a Patrol going to the rescue got stuck too. Funny stuff. Although the 80 did take a slightly different line and sunk on one side, where as followed the wheel ruts and almost got stuck, but a couple of backwards and forwards and I powered through.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
I can go offroad too
This was when I got the yellow didn't give a crap. Coilovers help so much haha but it was literally one of the most fun times I had 4x4'ing. Well not real 4x4 but offroad haha. Smashed a piece from the front bar but meh

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Puddipuddipuddipuddi

puddle......

Marko_SJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 utility
I can go offroad too
This was when I got the yellow didn't give a crap. Coilovers help so much haha but it was literally one of the most fun times I had 4x4'ing. Well not real 4x4 but offroad haha. Smashed a piece from the front bar but meh

LOL. So reposting that.

Looks expensive man.