Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5.0 Litre VT SS Worth Anything

cliffo83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0L Series 1
I picked up my vt ss 5.0L couple of months ago for $3500 with 233k's on the clock and its in immaculate condition for its age and been well looked after. It has that beefy 5.0L sound to it and only stock standard. Ill be holding onto it for the rest of my days, so if you can get onto one thats in good nic... grab it!!!

Smithston

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss 5.0
I think given enough time any car that is original and in good condition with low km will start to climb in price, you only have to look at the prices for old Holdens and Fords, base model HK Kingswoods, EH and HR specials etc are asking big dollars, whether they are getting the prices asked is another matter. So something with a V8 like say the VT 5 litre will have to generate some interest in the future, but probably another 15 to 20 odd years.
I have had my VX SS from new and it is bog standard as it came from the factory with only 90,000km on it, probably the sort of car that may generate some interest many years from now, I am an old bloke so probably long after I am gone, I am thinking of leaving it to my grandson so maybe he will get some fun out of it.

Smithston

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss 5.0
Vn/p ss really look great now. Vr/s stand out too and i think they have just recently become old enough to look awesome. You rarely see them. I wish i had any of them. Vt/x will be the next to start standing out maybe not there yet but give it a year or two.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
vt ss 5.0 might be worth something if low mileage & super clean but would be niche market.

Any 220i model (gts/senator) will be worth coin for those wanting last & likely best version of holden engines.

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
I have a manual VS SS with 230K on it.. never going to sell it either..

SS_Warrior

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTSS1 5.0
glad i picked up my VTSS1 manual few months ago, got 180xxx now, picked it up for $4k

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Look at it from this point of view, a HG Monaro GTS V8 in 1970 was just a little over $4000 new. In 2016 that same Monaro within 46 years is now worth between $75,000-$115,000 (condition depending). That's taken a lot of years to reach this point. Back in the early to mid 80's the HK HT HG Monaros were going cheap regardless if it was a V8 or a 6cyl, auto or manual. They were picked up mainly by those who were going to modify the guts out of them in which they did as you see in various street machine magazines from the mid 80's onwards. The Monaros of that period which are worth money now in 2016, are ones that have never been touched & are in concourse condition. Believe it or not the most rare Monaros from that period these days are the 6cyl versions & the last one of those I saw for auction went for $125,000.

If you are after a VT with a 5L you need to search for one that's been unmolested, low kms & in tip top condition. Chances are you'll pay some coin for it but then you'll have to wait for years & years for it to make good money.

I’m aware that this is a very old thread and its original question was about the value potential of a VT.

My view is buy whatever car you want for whatever reason you want to buy it for, but if it is as an investment, do so with your eyes wide open.

Using the numbers in the quoted post, if $4,000 was invested in the share markets (assuming average returns of 9% pa) and reinvested any dividends for 46 years, you’d have about $210,000 - about twice the value of the example car in the quoted post.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Using the numbers in the quoted post, if $4,000 was invested in the share markets (assuming average returns of 9% pa) and reinvested any dividends for 46 years, you’d have about $210,000 - about twice the value of the example car in the quoted post.

But how many donuts can a share portfolio do ?

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
cant drive shares lol

ausleo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS Sedan
Ive got 2 questions first: Would the VT SS 5.0 litre be worth anything the future as it the last Aussie V8??
Second: Would a 1999 VT II HBD Calais LS1 be worth anything in the future. I currently have the ls1 and thinking of maybe buying a 5.0l..What are your thoughts guys???

I've got 2 questions for you... do you still have your LS1 ? and did you get a 5.0L ?

You being a 98 model young holden lover you should buy the 5 Litre and keep the LS1 and look after them.
A good car can last longer than a marriage so look after it and don't feel pressured to get rid of the car if it's your pride and joy haha

If I could turn back time I would still have my old HQ and my old EH Ute and would probably have been divorced sooner but had the cars I wanted to keep. I have my VT SS LS1 and plenty of spare parts to keep it mobile for the next 50 years. I sort of hope it will outlast me, only time can tell. But I didn't really get mine for the vintage value I got it because I like driving it and it's fairly easy to maintain and it's a car I intend to keep. I have noticed the manual cars seem to attract more value but I have auto so I can eat my hamburger and change gears with no fuss :p