Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5.0 VR Statesman

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
I've seen this done on a VS Caprice and a WH statesman. it doesn't suit. the statesman and in particular the VR/VS ones are all about long, angular straight lines. it needs these to make it look "complete"

the middle garnish is also iconic when you think of a statesman. it's to say "hey look at me, I'm driving a statesman and I'm important". the WK/WL is my second favourite of the statesmans, I've got both a VR statesman and a WK. the WK back end looks much like a VR/VS without the middle garnish, but if you look at them from behind at a distance, the upwards curve of the boot lid and lights and the fact that the boot lid is taller and curves out at the top compliments the shape of the car. the WK/WL also have the chrome centre garnish/strip.

if you're going to do anything to the back end, get a series 3 garnish and lights I've also seen a VS statey with tinted lights and garnish, on a white car with blacked out windows, it looked good. if you find a garnish that's in good nick like I did, the red is quite dark anyway and the contrast of that on a white car will look nice.

lew84

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr statesman, 333 stroker
I've seen this done on a VS Caprice and a WH statesman. it doesn't suit. the statesman and in particular the VR/VS ones are all about long, angular straight lines. it needs these to make it look "complete"

the middle garnish is also iconic when you think of a statesman. it's to say "hey look at me, I'm driving a statesman and I'm important". the WK/WL is my second favourite of the statesmans, I've got both a VR statesman and a WK. the WK back end looks much like a VR/VS without the middle garnish, but if you look at them from behind at a distance, the upwards curve of the boot lid and lights and the fact that the boot lid is taller and curves out at the top compliments the shape of the car. the WK/WL also have the chrome centre garnish/strip.

if you're going to do anything to the back end, get a series 3 garnish and lights I've also seen a VS statey with tinted lights and garnish, on a white car with blacked out windows, it looked good. if you find a garnish that's in good nick like I did, the red is quite dark anyway and the contrast of that on a white car will look nice.

Hmm, I don't want a S3 garnish, it's been done to death IMO. I'm going to try it, if it's no good I'll slap another boot lid and the garnish back on it. I reckon it looks killer, but each to there own :)
ugezy2uj.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOOST666

Classic not plastic
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
'79 VB SL/E 253, VY SS II
I say go for it, explore your creativity, what's the worst that can happen? If it turns out anything like the pic above it will be so sick

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
DON'T DO IT WHITE!!!!!!

The pic of the black car looks good though.

I followed one for a few k's on the way home tonight that had the boot garnish painted white and all I wanted to do was drive my truck into it because it looked that bad.

lew84

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr statesman, 333 stroker
DON'T DO IT WHITE!!!!!!

The pic of the black car looks good though.

I followed one for a few k's on the way home tonight that had the boot garnish painted white and all I wanted to do was drive my truck into it because it looked that bad.

Hahaha. Okay, let's make this clear, especially for those who haven't played mini trucks, rods or, well anything other than bolt on body kits lol. I 100% am not talking about painting the garnish. It wouldn't work. I'm going to "shave" it. Remove it and replace it with sheet steel, the boot will be all metal, like the black one. If it doesn't work, it's as easy as bolting another boot lid and the garnish back on. Personally I think the one in the pic looks a lot better than a garnish, but then I'm not a fan of all that plastic....
Cheers, Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VY_SP4C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SPac
how did you go lew84 im looking at doing this myself have you got any pics or do you have any info on the black one in that image?