Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5 speed auto Gearbox problem after new motor install

MaDTr00per

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz 2005 storm ute 3.6
Hi All
i just put another motor in my vz storm ute and have no gears in my auto box
i put near 5 ltrs of trans oil in the motor starts first kick idles perfect but when put into Any Gear it just idles doesnt move
i do have a leak at the fill pipe checking in morning to reseat
i get the gear select on dash when in Drive D dispalys ect
cheers

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
If you don't install the converter correctly you will damage the pump and get the symptoms you are experiencing, Note below from 4L60e common problems but your trans should be similar:

21. No movement in any gear: pump failure, or total loss of fluid. R&R, or refill pan and find the leak. If out of fluid, avoid running the engine until the trans is refilled to avoid pump damage. To check for pump failure, check fluid level with the engine off, then start the engine and recheck fluid level. If level does not go down when engine is running, the pump is broken.

Last edited:
H

harrop.senator

5 speeds don't have a fill tube. At least vz doesn't. Are you sure they've not sold you a 4 speed? If so maybe the pcm isn't controlling it correctly ?

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
If you don't install the converter correctly you will damage to pump and get the symptoms you are experiencing, Note below from 4L60e common problems but your trans should be similar:

21. No movement in any gear: pump failure, or total loss of fluid. R&R, or refill pan and find the leak. If out of fluid, avoid running the engine until the trans is refilled to avoid pump damage. To check for pump failure, check fluid level with the engine off, then start the engine and recheck fluid level. If level does not go down when engine is running, the pump is broken.
thats what happend to mine stuffed the pump and converter