Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5L or Gen III?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
I think interior is definitely personal preference. I feel closed in our VT and VX. Like with the way the dash wraps around etc... The VN to VS interior is definitely a long way off quality wise, but its more open and comfortable for me.

stockvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT1 S/C 3.8 S Pack
If you do end up with a 5.0 you can always liven it up with a Yella Terra bolt on aftermarket supercharger.
whoo hoo!

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
I like the 5L there unbreakable,sound tuffer and go well, the 5.7L will require more maintenance,cost more to fix etc but do require much less work for good numbers @ the rears with just a maf tune,remap,Headers,CAI,Exhaust and So Diff Gears + Cam if ya want some more poke. GEN III willl break well past the 250Rwkw Range with mods --- Out of the Reach for most 5L with out Forced Induction or Huge Mods within the Internals -Stroker side of things.

5.7L GEN III is already up on kw from the mild 5L 304ci 165kw,HSv 185kw Series to the HSV VT 5L 195i where there is now so many options for the 350 Small Block so if ya got the cash go the GEN III you will appreciate it showing up those WRX"s

albert5268

Texas Hacksaw Massacre
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII LS1 6 spd
Yeah thanks for the info!!! Really now it's just a choice between VS (5L) or VTII/VX (GenIII) which will be decided by my bank balance!!! :) Definately have a couple of sleeps on it and then decide which way to go! Thanks for the comments, they've helped make an informed decision whichever way i go!

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
OK so I'm looking at getting my next car... a VT or VTII SS. I wanted to get the series II for the GenIII until my mate told me that GenIII's die very easily if you thrash them, more easily than the 5L. I have never heard this before but he said he has had a couple of mates and his uncle thrash their GenIII's and they died within a year or two of buying them.

Is there already a thread on which motor is better? Or does anyone have any experience or opinion on the issue?! I would really appreciate it as I can't wait to get my T and start modding... Cheers :D

Your mate is correct, the Gen III will die a hell of a lot quicker than a 304 if both are mistreated. As far as I'm concerned it is common knowledge but not in this forum. Solution, don't thrash them all the time. GM, not Chev, had not addressed the oil surge problems due to poor block design with the 350 from the late 60s into the 90s. I assume it has been fixed now though. If treated well and not abused the Gen III will give little trouble with the bonus of extra herbs.

I'm ready for a flaming but all you need to do is have a look into how many motors have been replaced or rebuilt in late model Monaros and Commodores. The owners killed their motors because they thought they had a racing car and thus tried to drive it like one and the motor could not hold up.
The good news is most drivers don't thrash their cars all the time.

Edit: This is also the case with the turbo Fords that are dying all over the place now because they can't handle a non stop thrashing and their motors are no longer bullet proof.

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
For sure i know someone who Did A Turbo Seal or something on a Xr6 with not even 50,000 whats this say,too much & these new engines can't handle it to the days of the old school V8'S