Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5L or Gen III?

albert5268

Texas Hacksaw Massacre
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII LS1 6 spd
OK so I'm looking at getting my next car... a VT or VTII SS. I wanted to get the series II for the GenIII until my mate told me that GenIII's die very easily if you thrash them, more easily than the 5L. I have never heard this before but he said he has had a couple of mates and his uncle thrash their GenIII's and they died within a year or two of buying them.

Is there already a thread on which motor is better? Or does anyone have any experience or opinion on the issue?! I would really appreciate it as I can't wait to get my T and start modding... Cheers :D

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Any car will die if you thrash it.

Perhaps what he is referring to is some early GENIII's (read - VTII) had some teething issues, but if you do your homework and find the right car you won't have a problem.

If you want big power, go the 5.7, no question, just don't leave a trail of rubber everywhere you go.

albert5268

Texas Hacksaw Massacre
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII LS1 6 spd
Cheers mate... I don't think i will be thrashing it much at all seeing as though I will be keeping my VS as a paddock basher. I'm also leaning towards GENIII for the better fuel consumption and updated technology. Plus the Series II introduced the M6... looks like I'm after a VTII now!

Snotty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina auto s2
when they said that the engines died, do you know what actually gave way?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Some early VTII Gen III's had excessive oil consumption and piston slap issues. Both of these issues would have been repaired under warranty. I never heard of any letting go because of it though I'm sure there were probably a few. I have had a VXII SS and now a VYII SS and neither has given an ounce of trouble.

That said, the Holden 5L is an excellent mill, virtually indestructable unless you do something really stupid. Just to add an extra, If you can stretch your budget a little, go for a VX. IMHO The body is a lot stiffer and overall the car feels a little more refined. Another alternative would be the VSII. Lighter body and they went like a rocket (Plus it would be cheaper to buy one in tip top condition).

Reaper

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
Hmmm... my personal opinion... Go for the Series 2, I personally like the GenIII alost more than the 5.0lt, and i think the series 2 overall is a much nicer car (the clear indicators side and rear as well as some other minor things give it that real class/sports factor)... Just my two cents. Good luck with it! Either way, it'll be a great car :thumbsup:

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
If ya gonna get a 5L, go to the VN-VS range. Atleast they aint as heavy as the 5L VT.

Power was boosted from the VS Series 2 168kw to 179kw for the 5L VT, but considering the weight difference, the VS would be just as quick! The series 1 had 165kw, and was the same figures as the VR, VP and VN 5L commodores.

However the VT Series 2 had 220kw... BIG jump. VX was 225kw.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yep like the others said, If you want the 5 liter in a refined but still light car get a VS series 2, God's personal Commodore of choice I'm sure and better than a 5 liter VT will ever be :). If you're going gen III the VX seems to be the weapon of choice with the local drag racing boys

albert5268

Texas Hacksaw Massacre
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII LS1 6 spd
Thanks for all the info guys!! really appreciated!

I just spent a weekend in Adelaide with my mate in his VT and i really like the interior, the dash and the quality of the seats etc. over my VS interior. The only problems he had with it was with the extra weight over the VS making it sluggish and personally i hate the look of the stock VT rear end (but that is easy fixed). Also i have found it a lot easier to find custom parts/extras for the VT online (i live in the country so it's a lot easier buying parts online than driving 300k's) and it seems almost effortless finding cheap bolt-on LS1 mods. I just didn't want to make the wrong decision engine-wise. Any other opinions/information would be greatly appreciated!!!!

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
The only wrong decision you could make is if you get a 5 litre.

If i were you i'd buy from LS1.com, that way you can buya loved car that has been tuned and zorsted and already putting out 230 rwkw.