Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5pin into a 4pin relay

The Lion

Reaction score
Members Ride
HZ TONNER ,C1500 Chevy , VX DAILY DRIVER
Can i use a 5 pin mini relay in a 4 pin for the engine bay fuse box so a 5pin for the fuel pump but its 4pin , reason is I have a box full of nos 5pins

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Check the pinout label diagram on the 4pin and compare to the 5pin relay.

Generally if pinouts and match then yes the 5th pin isn't used. As long as there is a slot in the middle for pin 5 to slide into

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yea 5 pin is usually just a changeover relay so the 5th pin just does the opposite of what the switched output pin does, just for extra different switching ability if needed

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
Just to reiterate the above, yes. But different relays have different configurations.
If we're talking about the common configuration, any 5 pin relay can be used in place of a 4, but not the other way around obviously. Just check the amp rating and the diagram on the relay. If it doesn't have a diagram then check the numbers at the bottom and compare that to another relays diagram.

I know in the VS, the fuel pump uses a micro relay. That's these little buggers. Unfortunately, there are a lot of references to relays using the incorrect name on the internet. The larger one is a mini relay. Just remember mini is bigger than micro.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    11.2 KB · Views: 19

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
be particularly aware holden uses type A, and type B relays