Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6 grand to spend, what to get?

cruzncommo

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5spd
i have 6 grand to spend on my motor, definately headwork, roller rockers, 70mm TB, stage 3 cam, crow timing gear, tune. what else? its gonna get a good rebuild.

lxhatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr calais, mitz triton
couple extra cylindrers!

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
i have 6 grand to spend on my motor, definately headwork, roller rockers, 70mm TB, stage 3 cam, crow timing gear, tune. what else? its gonna get a good rebuild.

ditch the throttle body and the "crow stage 3 cam", get a cam thats suited to what you plan to do with the engine - or even better a custom grind, not just an off the shelf grind.
be very carefull about mixing big cam's and roller rockers if they are going to be of a higher than stock ratio. too much lift will likely result in an expensive mess. you probably wouldnt want anymore than about .600" of lift max, and to achieve that much you'd need the heads done and maybe some shortened retainers too.
im not sure if your intentions are for a full rebuild or just the top end, but for $6k on a top end rebuild on a n/a engine - id be looking at getting the heads ported and shaved raising the compression, while they're getting ported have the runners and manifold port matched, a decent size cam...preferably a custom grind, rollmaster timing gear, if applicable to use with the cam choice maybe some roller rockers with a spring and retainer kit, grab some new injectors and have the fuel rails cleaned, then get it kalmaker tuned....you might even have some change left over, lol.

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
Turbo setup 3 grand, supercharger set up 3 grand, the look on peoples faces when they see both systems running on the same engine, PRICELESS.:yeah:

cruzncommo

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5spd
haha im getting blown this year and fully rebuilt next year ;)

cracker

Reaction score
get a 5L in there dont bother with the v6

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I think you can afford a low km Gen 3 V8 and dump it in there.

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
Simple, cam + heads + blower = fun.

cruzncommo

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5spd
im doing heads and blower this year rebuild the next, and go stick the v8 idea, im not into them lol