Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

$62,464 seems a bit steep for a VXR

dazinau

Reaction score
Members Ride
Motorsport
Having just spent $70 odd K on a Motorsport I know it's a bit hypocritical to say that, but it was a special edition of the last V8 commodore so for me it had that "special" factor and performance wise it stacks up pretty well to other large cars (unless you compare it to a VF SS I guess).

Be interesting to see the road tests & comparison, even what they decide to compare it to, but I recon at that price, if I was interested in something like that I'd find a few extra $'s and buy a VW Arteon.

Saying that the 2.0T fwd model looks good compared to a Camry.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
here's a tip, when GM stopped manufacturing locally a certain subset of buyers (deluded non-buyers essentially) thought we'd have some kind of price reductions - importers will charge what the market will bear. If these don't sell they might consider dropping the price (or they will swap it out for something that does sell at that price). But we are used to being ripped a new one so the prices will stay exactly where they are while the margins will stretch further and further in our little corner of the world.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I was walking though the CBD of Melbourne earlier today, and it appears that 4 out of every 5 people aren't Australian.

The market doesn't need to appeal to Aussies anymore, because Aussies aren't the major concern. They'll market to whoever's likely to pay the money. The Chinese are all driving around in $100K+ cars and buying the majority of land all around Melbourne, making it impossible for 95% of Australians to compete (especially first home buyers).

All comes down to poor government regulation. Gotta say, Australia seems to be one of the only places in the world that looks after the needs of foreigners before the needs of their own. The way things are going, the future for the country isn't bright. It's a bit of a circus really and it's not likely to get better any time soon. The way the government set up local car companies to fail is an economical disaster; export income has been dramatically reduced as a result, and money continues to leave the country at an ever increasing rate which means that the Australian dollar will continue to weaken.

I don't mean to turn this into a political shitfight, but just stating my opinion on why we have such exorbitant pricing over here. Go to Japan, and you'll see a country that stands up for its traditions and looks after its own first. They've just got it right.

The reality is that they'll sell the new commodores, astras etc because the proportion of people who actually want a high powered RWD vehicle is incredibly small. They're just not an economical solution for a family car these days, and the daily commute is much easier in a smaller, more efficient car. And that's not to say I particularly like these newer european hatchbacks - but just that I do understand the reason for the massive change in direction for car companies.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Saying that the 2.0T fwd model looks good compared to a Camry.

it would wanna be for $6500 more !
(new base 2.5 na Camry $27490 v ZB 33990 RRP pricing)

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY17 Series 2 Redline - Red Hot
I was walking though the CBD of Melbourne earlier today, and it appears that 4 out of every 5 people aren't Australian.

The market doesn't need to appeal to Aussies anymore, because Aussies aren't the major concern. They'll market to whoever's likely to pay the money. The Chinese are all driving around in $100K+ cars and buying the majority of land all around Melbourne, making it impossible for 95% of Australians to compete (especially first home buyers).

All comes down to poor government regulation. Gotta say, Australia seems to be one of the only places in the world that looks after the needs of foreigners before the needs of their own. The way things are going, the future for the country isn't bright. It's a bit of a circus really and it's not likely to get better any time soon. The way the government set up local car companies to fail is an economical disaster; export income has been dramatically reduced as a result, and money continues to leave the country at an ever increasing rate which means that the Australian dollar will continue to weaken.

I don't mean to turn this into a political shitfight, but just stating my opinion on why we have such exorbitant pricing over here. Go to Japan, and you'll see a country that stands up for its traditions and looks after its own first. They've just got it right.

The reality is that they'll sell the new commodores, astras etc because the proportion of people who actually want a high powered RWD vehicle is incredibly small. They're just not an economical solution for a family car these days, and the daily commute is much easier in a smaller, more efficient car. And that's not to say I particularly like these newer european hatchbacks - but just that I do understand the reason for the massive change in direction for car companies.

And don't get me started on how Japan gets our natural gas cheaper than what we can buy it for in Australia. As a country, we've been sold out.

Holden is advertising on it's website the LT Commodore for $35,990 driveaway, $31,500 driveaway for the Ascent Camry and the Mazda6 sport is $34,385 driveaway here in Canberra. I really have no idea how they compare for features though.

In any case, I think I will skip the ZB Commodore and see what comes out (if anything) after that.

Oh dear, I never thought I'd ever cross shop a Commodore against a Camry or Mazda6...

Comfal

Reaction score
Holden have obviously not learnt anything from the pricing stuff up at the release of the Astra.

The pricing of ZB is not even in the ball park at current pricing no matter how much the Holden marketing team tells us otherwise. Firstly the base model LT is a lot more expensive than a Camry and even a Mazda 6 which you can get at a significant discount off RRP. Then they are trying to pass off the RS as a SV6 replacement and it does not have Sat Nav, Head up display and 8” screen. RSV is a much closer match to the SV6 and is over $50k. (Over $10k more than SV6). VXR at over $60K is just ridiculous. I am genuinely worried about Holden’s future.

Last edited:

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
Holden can put whatever price they like on the car, but in the end the public will decide the worth of a car. Case in point Holden Astra.

The ZB is overpriced at launch and at some point that will be corrected or Holden will have a lot of unsold inventory and no customers for it.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
it appears that 4 out of every 5 people aren't Australian.

Can only hope that you aren't judging people by the colour of their skin as Australia is a multi-racial country, there are many Asian looking Australians. Anyway, most human traffic in CBD area of Sydney and Melbourne are visiting tourists, more the better for local economy.

It is a very disturbing view against Chinese. I have many Chinese friends but none of them are driving $100K+ car. According to Bureau of Statistics on 2016 Foreign Investments Reports, USA was the largest at $860 billion (27%), UK $515 billion (16%), Belgium $270 billion (8.5%), Japan $216 billion (6.7%), HK $100 billion (3.2%), Singapore $98 billion (3.1%) and China 87 billion (2.7%). USA is by far the largest Foreign Investor, nearly 10 times over China.

I doubt if anyone would set up a car manufacturing business here in Australia for the local market only. Total annual new vehicle sales is around 1 million here in Australia, UK alone has over 2 millions. Toyota would have continued to make cars here but couldn't do it on their own. Everything is on economy of scales to compete in the global market, unless the product is so unique and people willing to pay a premium over the others.

I agree that time is getting harder for young Australians, especially the first home buyers. It is just the reality of Capitalism but there are plenty of success stories. My carpenters are two young Aussies, they didn't even finish high school when they started working at the building sites, now they are married with kids and own their own homes. Same as my bricklayers, concreters and stone masons, all are youngish Aussie and living in their own house. It is near impossible to have a home in the CBD areas for the first home buyers. (Unless they have rich parents or winning the lottery). I were selling houses to first home buyers 20 years ago, they bought in the cheapest suburbs, basic houses with no carpets, no curtains and no landscaping. They saved up for those items after they moved in. Now some first home buyers want everything and high end fittings in the house at a good location but can't afford the price, then they blame others for not able to buy a house.

Cars are just the same as houses, people will buy if it is cheap enough and reasonably made. Some are willing to pay more for prestige brands. It is a free country but don't blame others and don't envy others. Good luck to those who drives a Rolls Royce and live in a big house.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Having just spent $70 odd K on a Motorsport I know it's a bit hypocritical to say that, but it was a special edition of the last V8 commodore so for me it had that "special" factor and performance wise it stacks up pretty well to other large cars (unless you compare it to a VF SS I guess).

Be interesting to see the road tests & comparison, even what they decide to compare it to, but I recon at that price, if I was interested in something like that I'd find a few extra $'s and buy a VW Arteon.

I don't know where you get the price of $62, 464 from because looking at the build price on that car for NSW the figures are as follows. Bear in mind the AUD is weak against the Euro (0.63 Euro to 1 AUD at time of writing) and so anything out of the Euro zone is going to be relatively expensive in AUD terms.
Holden VXR Liftback (from Holden web site)
RRP (incl GST) $55,990
On Road Costs NSW $ 4,964
(NSW Regn, 3rd Party insurance
NSW State sales tax, dealer delivery fee)

Total On Road NSW $ 60,954

In the land of cheapest GM cars, USA, they are selling this 2018 car as a Buick Regal GS but with 19 inch wheels and tyres rather than the 20 inch we get here. The USD is much stronger against the Euro than the AUD.

But if we take the Net US RR price and compare it with the Aust price adjusted for AUD-USD exchange rate , GST, a higher wheel and tyre spec with 20 inch wheels on the Aust RHD car plus the driver confidence package included in the Aust model but an extra cost option on the US spec cars, this is what you get:

1. USA 2018 Buick Regal GS 19 inch wheels/tyres
NET RRP USD 39070 (excludes the 925 freight charge and excludes any taxes, fees, dealer fees and other on road costs)
Add optional driver confidence package USD $1690 (included in the price of the Aust model)
Total Net USD 40,760

2. Convert USD price to AUD at 0.78

USD40,760 = AUD 52,256

3. Add cost of 20 inch wheels /tyres as per Aust RHD model AUD 800

4. Add Aust GST at 10%
AUD $ 52256
AUD $ 800 - 20 inch wheels/tyres
Total Net AUD $ 53056
Add GST $5305 (10% GST)
Total AUD 58361 (incl GST) (Does Not include any On Road Costs)

But GM is not selling this car here at AUD 58361(incl GST) Net of on road costs but at AUD 55,990 (incl GST) Net of on road costs.

Furthermore, once this model has been on sale for 6 -8 months, if you could not negotiate a $2000 discount on the VXR , especially for in stock vehicles, I would be surprised. With this discount you would be at $58,954 Including On Road Drive Away.

If you don't want a VXR you can still get the same 3.6 V6 engine, auto trans and AWD drive train in the RS Liftback for
$42490 ON The Road(NSW price).

With respect to European Brand rip offs here on "Treasure Island", I saw a Mercedes C250 on a stand at a Mall the other week with all pricing broken down. I kid you not, the "dealer delivery fee" was $3850 for this 2.0 litre engined car which excluding the usual on road costs was around $62000(incl GST). These arrogant retailers are treating customers like stupid pigs to the slaughter and many of the idiot consumers here on Treasure Island are sucking it up.

Last edited: