Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

> 80 km/hr shudder. Also, rear fascia question.

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
After oversteering and mounting a kerb in the wet, my VT suffered a buckled wheel and a shudder at 80km/hr or faster. I wasn't the one driving by the way!
So the buckle was fixed and wheels all balanced professionally.The tie rod end replaced and therefore a wheel alighnment was done.
What could be causing the shudder? Steering box seems to be the biggest possibility as it is leaking out of the rack boot on the opposing side to where the impact with the kerb occured. The oil filled control arm bush?
Some knowledgable and logical advice/solutions would be greatly appreciated.

On a lighter note. Does the centre console rear fascia just pop out? Is it held in with those same clips that hold in the front dash fascia? Any unscrewing required? Do i have to take out the whole bloody centre console? that's what I'm getting at as i just want to paint my dash ;)

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Possibly Brake disc warp. At least thats easy to fix. Your wheel may still be slightly buckled and not tracking truly. An easy check is to fit the spare.

If the shudder remains, its probably disc. For it to be a shudder, it has to be something that rotates.... Or something not fixed properley like a rose bush floating in the breeze its that loose. But that would clunk at low speed as well.

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
Well that's what the mechanics at Goodyear said, but I didn't believe them, because if the brake disc was warped, then i would get a braking shudder wouldn't I? They also didn't balance my wheels properly, which is why I took it to K - Mart tyre and auto service, where they also aligned my wheels $10 cheaper.
Also, a warped disc couldn't possibly occur from hitting a kerb could it? it just doesn't make sense

Last edited:

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
Warped rotors only cause shudder when you brake, not when you cruising with foot off the brake.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
I disagree, though normally I wouldn't.

Normally warped discs an be felt as a pulsing in the brake pedal. In this forum on a couple of other threads though, people have mentioned the exact same symptoms, that have only been cured by rotor replacement. I have also had 2 mechanics tell me that VT rotors are of quite a soft material. perhaps too soft.

After going through the same things as you, and balancing my wheels, i still have a shudder that starts at about 120KMH through the steering, but it can also be felt through the suspension.

I have ended up thinking that the VT is a freak car that behaves differently to the norm. That being said - I should get my car back next week, and i have a new set of rotors to bolt on. If my shudder goes away, ill post it up.

Search on my name to see some other threads about this.

Cheers

WhiteOx

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS II Acclaim
I disagree, though normally I wouldn't.

Normally warped discs an be felt as a pulsing in the brake pedal.
Shudder felt through steering wheel = Front Rotors.
Shudder felt through brake pedal = Rear Rotors.

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
Thanks guys, that really helped.
I was told that my front discs were warped by goodyear, however they were sketchy as with the details and initially told me to "just drive it (my car)" when i asked what i should do about all the "possible" damage that could have occured from the accident. With this sketchy as description, i got 1 buckled wheel repaired and replaced a tie rod end from the advice of a soon-to-be apprentice mechanic/ good friend gave me.
I took it to K-Mart tyre and Auto service, where they were able to align my wheels again ($10 cheaper) and balance all of my wheels properly as goodyear had failed to do this.
I had purchased a pair of rotors from the wreckers, but returned them when i changed my mind after my friends advice.
I will do some testing to see if there is anything (noisewise or vibration wise) when i brake, tomorrow. Will also paint my dash and LED convert my heater controls.
It looks like replacing the front rotors could be the way to go as "vt's are (may be) weird".
Will keep you posted on my progress.

Shudder felt through steering wheel = Front Rotors.
Shudder felt through brake pedal = Rear Rotors.

I like your theory. Let's hope it is correct for VT's.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Another rule of thumb:

Vibration < 80kph - problem at front of car (wheel balance etc.)
Vibration > 80kph - problem at rear of car

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
That sort of contradicts what everyone else has been saying, but it is a valid point, thanks.