Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

> 80 km/hr shudder. Also, rear fascia question.

garywg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX lumina
Sorry White Ox, but nearly all of the shuddering in vt & vx's is front rotors,although how they would warp from hitting the gutter is a mystery.

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
Bit of an update. Really tested out my brakes today and nothing out of the ordinary. The shake is still there in the steering wheel. I reckon it is at its worst at 80km/hr, then gets shorter and faster (the shake of the steering wheel) towards 100km/hr. Haven't taken it much higher than the victorian speed limit to test to see if it disappears at high speeds. There are hints of the shake as i go a little above 60km/hr.
How is tsunamix goin with his?

WhiteOx

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS II Acclaim
Sorry White Ox, but nearly all of the shuddering in vt & vx's is front rotors,although how they would warp from hitting the gutter is a mystery.
I wasn't talking about any car in particular what I posted is a general rule of thumb.

Jazza15s problems are most likely to be caused by hitting the gutter and have nothing to do with his brakes anyway .... impact has probably bent/broken something.

feg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S S/C
As the OP was not driving the car at the time it mounted the gutter who is to say that, that is the only thing that happened. In my experience you never really get the whole truth on what exactely happend prior to or after the incident. Maybe the person driving slammed the brakes on after the car lost control. The oversteer part sort of makes me question if there is enough weight at the front of the car to cause damage to the rotors by slamming on the brakes though.

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
I was in the car when it happened, it wasn't a good feeling watching it unfold and not being able to do anything. I think we can just about give up on the warped brake rotors theory, at least until tsunamix comes back to me on how his similar problem went.
What else could be causuing my steering wheel to shake side to side as mentioned earlier?

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Was the bent rim repaired or replaced? Jack the front of your car up so the tyres are just off the ground and then turn the wheels by hand so you can see if there is any flat spots on the tyres or if the rim has any sideways movement. Sit a brick or something alongside the tyre as you are turning the wheel around and see if the distance between the brick and the tyre change at any point.

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
Zeussy, they make a noise and vibration when they go. Surprisingly, there was no hub damage from impact with the kerb. Fronts commonly, eventually go on commodores, rears are more resiliant...unless you slide into a kerb.

I jacked up the car today (and put it on stands) and spun both front wheels. They seem to be buckled slightly. One wheel demonstrates a 'jolt' at one point of the rotation while the other one just seems buckled. Now, this is what Goodyear told me that "all wheels were buckled" when i asked them to elaborate on that, they were very sketchy and failed to tell me how this would affect regular driving. K-Mart tyre and auto service on the other hand said that my wheels (after already recently visiting Goodyear) were out of balance and were now fine. Upon hearing this i was delighted.
So it is now a case of finding a pair of perfectly good wheels to put on the front and determine whether or not this is in fact the cause of the shudder at 80 k's...and also finding a decent tyre place next time i need my wheels balanced.

I also did my first oil change today. I used oil flush which set me back about $20. My car nut friend recomended it to me and he even commented on how much it cleaned the rockers (and pressumably the rest of the engine) when he saw the result.
I also replaced my spark plugs and upon doing so, 2 leads broke. this tells me that they are all due to be replaced, which i will be doing very soon. Would you agree?...

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Im back in town. my VT is back from the shop with a new S-Pack nose. Tomorrow Ill take the time to bolt the rotors and pads on all round and we will see what the result is.

At least if this doesn't fix it, it can only be a prop shaft bearing.

cheers

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Ok heres the pics. Its a '99 VT acclaim in Bermuda blue mica with an s-pack nose. Im not sure whether to body color the trim strips or black them out as blue and black looks pretty damn scmick.

The wheels are CSA Gladiators in machined finish, although I think I would like to go chrome.

I guess you can see why I want to find a subtle boot lip or bob tail spoiler. The lines are pretty euro smooth to start with.

Previously I had a custom grille - opened up and blacked out, with metallic light blue+chrome mesh fill. looked quite aggressive.

I am tempted to paint the brake calipers red, and use a red mesh in the grille this time for a hint of aggression..

Todays plans - The set of slotted rotors go on, and a whiteline strut brace. New police spec pads as well. I'll upload some more photos as well.

Last edited: