Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

97 vt commodore cranks but wont start.. need help

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
using a $5-$15 multimeter is about as accurate as using the dash diagnostics... about all you get from it is:
A) a starting voltage before you turn the key
B) another voltage when the engine is running
If B > A then it's doing something... how accurate is like reading the fuel/temp gauge on a 70/80's holden, if you relocated the cluster onto the battery then it'd be far more accurate.

VATS would stop it cranking, low battery voltage would do the same.
Bad earth or low voltage to the ecu/pcm, dfi module, fuel supply would be more along the lines of this issue

funkydever

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
this sounds like you have a separate alarm system and factory system
anyway the car will not start if the red mode light is flashing, this is the factory immobilizer
need more info on type of alarm, does alarm use a separate remote
your factory key/remote does that work normally

alright i did some diggin behind the steering column and found these.i hope the pics uploaded ok. the first is just the extra light on the dash. then i found these other bits to. and they all were wired together into the mess which is one of the pics and the final pic is the part under the bonnet for it. we know nothing about the system as it was in already when my mrs brought it. shes only ever used one key for it so no seperate controls or anything. and i also forgot to mention sometimes when u push the button on the key the doors open and this only happens when it wont start but the hazard lights continue to flash and u hav to push lock, then un lock again for them to turn off which when all this first started happening sometimes would then allow the car to start. but she wont start at all now.

Attachments

• IMAG0426[1].jpg
    IMAG0426[1].jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 235
  • IMAG0427[1].jpg
    IMAG0427[1].jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 651
  • IMAG0428[1].jpg
    IMAG0428[1].jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 532
  • IMAG0429[1].jpg
    IMAG0429[1].jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 268
  • IMAG0430[1].jpg
    IMAG0430[1].jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 356
  • IMAG0431[1].jpg
    IMAG0431[1].jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 337

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
you probably cannot diagnose this over a forum
i suggest you call an autoelec to come out to your house

P plater

the immortal misguided one
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Ford Falcon Futura wagon/ 1994 VR Exec wagon
you probably cannot diagnose this over a forum
i suggest you call an autoelec to come out to your house
+1 here too it probably is a bodgy job putting the other system in so let an auto electrician deal with it now

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
That looks like fun, it's probably not a dodgy install but the unit may have crapped out.
I'd remove it and rejoin all the factory wires rather than try to trouble shoot it (and hope the original installer didn't shorten the factory loom wires).

It's not factory, that option was a new BCM with the alarm feature switched on and a siren under the bonnet.

D

devilly

well done nice find:) .mmm noticed alot of white stuff over the fuse box,maybe front window leaking water and calcium drying on fusebox.i would be doing what jxw said:) .get some heat shrink and soldering for the main wires.this might be the open circuit of power drain.

funkydever

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
well done nice find:) .mmm noticed alot of white stuff over the fuse box,maybe front window leaking water and calcium drying on fusebox.i would be doing what jxw said:) .get some heat shrink and soldering for the main wires.this might be the open circuit of power drain.

cool. i will give it a go and let yous know how i go. thanks everyone for the replys.

moimoi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
Hey funkydever i have the exact same car with the exact same issues n now wont start, very interested to know if you managed to solve the problem