Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

99 Series 1 VT Senator

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
Replaced the coolant sensor on the weekend and still no change to the high idle in gear, though why mucking about in there and refilling cooling system, I discovered what the coolant smell I was getting probably was. More than likely was the noisy water pump that was buzzing it tits off. Bearing worn so was leaking a bit of coolant now and again, so was changed on weekend as well. Had same issue with vs v6 I had but left it too long and pump ended up seazing on me...an hour and a half from home, 11pm on xmas day....lesson learnt lol
Next on the list is oxygen sensors I guess. Was hoping it wouldn't come to this as they can be a bit pricey with needing 2. Have to get under there and check what plug that is used for them

DougoMundo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Lumina
Any news on the insurance? I hope things are proceeding smoothly.

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
Any news on the insurance? I hope things are proceeding smoothly.

Dunno about smooth but is a slow process, insurance emailed me Friday saying they were having trouble getting in touch with the other driver and if I could give any more details about her car, specifically rego, as there was no damage to her car I didn't bother getting it at the time. Was able to get it when went to work on Wednesday and passed it on to my insurance so hopefully is enough to get the claim through and approval to get mine fixed.
Been and got a quote last week and has been sent through to insurance with no complaints from their end, so hopefully they're happy with it. Was expecting insurance to kick up a stink about it seen as it was quoted at a bit over 6k

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
Car booked in on Wednesday to go get repaired :yahoo:

Mucked around a bit on the weekend, been having more issues with the after market window winder I fitted a little while ago, sometimes working sometimes not, which pointed to wiring in my mind. Pulled door trim and kick panel off to jiggle the wiring loom but that made no difference. With a test light I discovered it had an earth problem, even then with an extra earth wire attached, it would work a couple of times, then go down but not back up, until I disconnected the extra earth then stop working again.....weird. I thought back to the electric aerial on my old VR SS that used the metal mounting bracket as the earth so scratched away the paint around the mounting bolts and hey presto a fully functional window again.

While I was in there with the kick panel off, decided to fit the new memcal I got from The1, mainly in the hope that there was a slim chance it would fix the high idle in gear problem somehow but no such luck. But I will say that his tune did make a noticeable difference in throttle response and the firmer gear changes are great also, not too hard when cruising around but the harder you punch the pedal the harder the auto will change.

Which brings me to my next point the auto.....been noticing a bit of slipping in 1st gear of you give it a hard boot. Oil is a bit dark but doesn't smell burnt so will service anyway and see what happens. Shuddering at the thought of having to get a new auto for this car. Besides while I'm under there servicing the auto I can have a look at what oxygen sensors I need. I know there is at least a couple of different plugs that are possibly used so need to check to be 100%. Did oxygen sensors on a mates VS Grange a while ago and Repco wouldn't tell us over the phone if they had the right ones in stock until we took the old one out to show them. I know now that mine are 4 wire flat plug, where as my mates Grange had 4 wire square plug.

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
High idle problem...have you tried the ecu reset and idle relearn procedure I suggested a while back...it's easy to do, just a few minutes..might be all you need to fix it...Google for instructions..

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
have you tried the ecu reset and idle relearn procedure I suggested a while back

Yeah I did give it a go, but when I did a search I didn't find anything quite like what your link shows. Can't remember now what it was now that I did, was something like shifting through the gears at idle but not sitting there for 5 mins or pulling fuses. I'll give it a go tonight if I get the chance, Senator getting picked up in the morning to go for on a cosmetic holiday to the panel beaters, I will miss her but hopefully she comes back looking better than ever

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
Tried the ecu reset and idle learn procedure the other night, unfortunately it didn't help. Could tell it did what it was supposed to do, after going through the procedure then restarting and selecting drive, the revs went down to around 550 where it should be, but then immediately went back up to the 8-900 rpm just like it was before. On to new oxygen sensors for the next try at solving this issue

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Mmm..haven't read back through your thread pages but have you tried
Removing and inspecting the pcv line as they split at the back y section and believe that can cause high idle?
Is it tuned? Maybe look at some adjustment there or Maf might be buggered?

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
Mmm..haven't read back through your thread pages but have you tried
Removing and inspecting the pcv line as they split at the back y section and believe that can cause high idle?
Is it tuned? Maybe look at some adjustment there or Maf might be buggered?

Its a series 1 kanga, 304 v8, not a ls1 with the pcv lines at the back :p