Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

9HFD 4L60e into VS

BigBadVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 VS
Hey guys I'm having a bit of trouble trying to find consise info on this and im kinda in a time crunch because my car is already in a workshop. The mechanic threw my VS up on a hoist to put a 9HFD in it (from a VY) as the 6HDD shat the bed.. ive been told it's essentially a straight swap but the mechanic is a bit hesitant to swap it in as they look a little different (the 9HFD has some electrical stuff on the side). Is it really just plug and play as some have told me or is there a little more to it to let the mechanic know? Has anyone done this swap before and can throw me some info?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's not a 100% direct swap. The later box has the safety neutral switch mounted on the shifter output. That in itself doesn't matter as you just use the original one in the car which you won't need to touch, just the shifter linkage that will need to be fitted. The VY box will have the full round bellhousing so the bracing from the engine oil pan to bell housing might be a bit different and the transmission cooler lines sit at a different angle and are a different size IIRC.