Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A Basic Backyarders Guide to Spraypainting.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
The more I see that pic the more that scheme appears appealing..

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I have to say I agree. It will be interesting to see what others think, but its growing on me quickly. I can see the sparkle in it too though, I have a test panel sprayed in black with the clear sparkle over it, looks subtle but very bling :)

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
The beginnings of what is now definitely going to be a two tone (red/black as above). Once the red is cured I will mask up and do the bottom.

The red feathers down the door, to avoid leaving any distinct edge. This way, the only edge I will have to deal with is the upper edge of the black.

The front and rear bars are inside the house getting rubbed back, they will be black too, and of course all the other bits such as the gutter trims, rear window and door frames will also be redone in black. as will the mirrors..

When the entire car is finished in the two tone, it will get a couple coats of clear, a couple coats of the prismatic flake in clear, and then another couple coats of clear (the whole car at once). The weather looks good this week, I might get lucky :)

attachment.php

Last edited:

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Obviously still a lot of work to go, but at least you can get the idea now.

Note the masking tape still on the A pillar and other places. This is because I was in a hurry when I wanted to mask it up and didnt want to waste time buying some decent masking tape.

Its been sitting on there a couple weeks, and doesnt want to take the adhesive with it when peeled off. Its no big deal, its not hurting the paint, but its going to be a pain to remove now. It would have been smarter to get some decent tape before I started..

Eucalyptus oil will do it no worries, I am just running out of light and wanted to take a photo. I'll get the masking tape off tomorrow, making sure of course to then remove the Eucalyptus oil with prepsol.

attachment.php

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Another thing to point out here. The paint has been rubbed back with a 500G RO pad. You'll notice I have just gernied the crap off (from a distance, its just a wash - you dont want to hit new paint with high pressure! ) when I peeled the mask off, and some bits are dry and some are wet. The wet bits gleam really well, the dry bits are dull.

The rubbing back is to make the paint nice and flat.. to remove 'orange peel'. Its a clear over base paint job, so the base coat does not need to be shiny, just flat and scratch free. It is. The shine doesnt happen until the clear goes over the top... like the wet bits are shining now.

attachment.php

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
colors dont look that bad together... saw it differently in my head. something about 2 tone i just love... also, hey are those falcon hub caps?

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Yeah I think the colours work well. Going to have a gold vinyl stripe over the paint line, 4mm wide. Its a metallic gold leaf type of gold, and clear over the vinyl to lock it down permanently.

The wheels, hubcaps and tyres (70-90% Bridgestone Turenza) I picked up for 200 bucks on fleabay, 20 minutes drive away :) .. They have lions on the centre so definitely holden, he said they were from a VZ. Wheels and caps are completely unmarked, like straight out of the box... Since I needed at least 3 tyres for RWC and the original wheels didnt look great anyway, this was the perfect solution.

attachment.php

Last edited:

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
The biggest problem I am having with the job at the moment is the equipment lol.. I am not a tradesman so I am allowed to blame my tools ;)

The compressor is awesome, its not going back to the farm :D but the el cheapo HVLP gun is a bit of a problem. Its not a bad little gun.. for the price.. but of course the big difference between cheap and expensive is options. It came with a 1.4 tip and there are no other tips available.

Pushing acrylic through a 1.4 tip means I have to use more thinners or more pressure.. peel or dust which would you prefer sir? I can get it to spray ok but its a fine line to walk. I've been leaning towards dust and thinning it, since I rub it back anyway, but I might buy a decent gun and a set of tips before I do the clear.. I'd like to be dumping that on with a 1.8mm tip at least, maybe even 2mm.

To explain myself properly since this is supposed to be a tutorial..

If the paint is too thick, it will come out surrounded by paint cobwebs. All your overspray will join together and you will have paint fairy floss on every edge, and massive amounts of orange peel effect.

If it has enough thinners in it, but the pressure is too high, it will come out in bigger lumps, and you will get an orange peel effect. This isnt a bad compromise, lay on enough paint and it can always be rubbed back.

Add too much thinners, and the paint literally dries in the air. This means you are painting a wet area, but the overspray is forming a dry paint dust over other areas which you have already done or about to do. Again this is not such an issue if you are going to rub back the paint anyway, so its the option I have been using to get the acrylic through the overly small tip on this spray gun.

If you are working in the right direction this is no problem as the dust is fine enough to be absorbed by the paint, but its annoying when you have to rub it off paint which you have already laid, which is what will happen if you work towards yourself for instance on a roof or bonnet. The trick here is obviously to paint in the right direction.. away from yourself. The problem then is leaning over wet paint..

Acrylic needs a bigger tip size than 2K does. Its thicker paint. As a general rule, 1.4 is good for 2k, 1.8 is good for acrylic, and 2mm is great for primer/filler.

Unfortunately the new gun has a 1.4 tip, which is too fine to spray acrylic well. I knew it was a little small when I bought the gun, but I wrongly thought I would be able to get away with it. I have so far, but its not going to be able to do the top coat the way I want it to. I think the gun was about $50 so no big deal, you get what you pay for. I will just have to lash out and spend a few hundred on a DevilBliss or a Bink.

Interesting that IMO the ($50 Rockworth from Masters) gun is actually pretty good. The only actual difference I can tell between this el cheapo gun and a good one is the lack of accessories.. ie no other tips are available to fit this gun whatsoever. Maybe how long the gland packing lasts and stuff like that may show the lesser quality, but as a 2k gun this thing would work beautifully at the moment.

I have actually used decent guns to know too .. and sprayed with 2k as an industrial spraypainter in case anyone wonders if I have ever actually used the stuff that I wont use at home ;).

When I get a gun with a 1.8 tip, I will be able to use correct thinner amounts and correct pressure, avoiding all the previously mentioned problems with the all important clear coats. If you have the right thinners, tip and pressure, you can spray a glass finish straight out of the gun with practice, which is what I plan to do with the clear.

Last edited:

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Some gold tape over the paint line. I know, I need to use a proper camera lol The photo is grainy but the paint isnt..

attachment.php

Sorry, I havent yet cleaned off the last of the masking tape as you can see on the pillar.. there is no clear coat yet either, but even so I think she is starting to look good :)

attachment.php

Last edited: