Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A problem with Engine fault light followed by car won't start?

mickcha55

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore acclaim v6
Hello members. A belated thankyou to all the members who have helped me over the years in fixing problems with the family's VT, VX and
VY Commodores. :)
A lead up to this post. My beloved VX V6 Commodore sedan was taken off the road around 3.5 years ago as I had an ongoing fault with the Airbag system.
Before I had time to work further on the car our home was bashed senseless by a severe Hail/Torremtial rainfall.
Ceilings in 3 rooms caved in as water flooded into the ceilings.
Finally after chasing unhelpful insurance our home was finally repaired. This took over 2 years to resolve.
apologies for my prattling... ):
I finally had time to try and resurrect my car about 6 weeks ago.
Many fault light issues later, the main problem was fixed by changing the ABS Module .Thanks to the many who posted info relating to this :)

I have one fault remaining.
The ABS module rplacement stopped the ALL Warning light on and both fans racing constantly.
Now the car runs light a dream when I can get it started.
When I start the car now, the check phases run through and the different warning lights go out. As they are going through checks, the CHECK engine light comes on and stays on.
The car has dual fuel with an after market LPG system installed.
At this point the car will not start after many attempts, on either petrol or LPG.
I found that if I left the ignition on for 35 seconds up to a couple of minutes, the Engine Fault light will go out.
At this point the car will start. It runs perfectly and will run all day if I wanted it to.
When I park the car for even a few minutes and come back, I have the same Engine fault light issue?

I have had the car scanned and multiple historic faults cleared., except 2 faults could not be deleted.
This was listed twice as Fault 05-Instrument - ID: 16 - DTC-(Current) ABS/ETC Fault Logged. There were 2 entries exactly the same reported.

I had a 2nd scan run again. The scan reported all systems OK except the same 2 faults. The techo could still not delete them?

While the engine fault light is on the car does not communicate with the scanner ?

I had NRMA roadside service come while irt would not start. The mechanic said the same thing, that the 2 different scanners he was using would not talk to the cars computers ?
He suggested that it may be an Imobiliser issue and suggested cleaning the key where the metal pin comes out, and also clean the slipring the key contacts.

I did this, as well as trying a trying a couple of spare keys I have, but the problem still persists.

Is it possible the BCM module could be causing this?

I am just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, and can shed some light on this ?

Kind Regards
Michael :)

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
most likely your replacement abs is faulty
try unplugging abs and see how you go

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
most likely your replacement abs is faulty
try unplugging abs and see how you go
As above, l was going to suggest this too.

Then try & clear the codes.

I've done this with airbag code. It worked, & didn't come back. It may not work for you?

mickcha55

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore acclaim v6
Thanks gentlemen for your replies.
I disconnected the ABS and the car starts ok again.

I have another 2nd hand ABS Module which I will fit as soon as I can.
Fingers crossed I dont experience the same (or other) problem/s !

I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks again for the forum and the help it offers. :)

Kind Regards

mickcha55

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore acclaim v6
Thanks gentlemen for your replies.
I disconnected the ABS and the car starts ok again.

I have another 2nd hand ABS Module which I will fit as soon as I can.
Fingers crossed I dont experience the same (or other) problem/s !

I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks again for the forum and the help it offers. :)

Kind Regards
Hello members.
I have replaced the ABS module with another 2nd hand module. I bought both the modules from the same seller. He advised that both had come off running cars that had no fault light issues. A trustworthy seller, I believe.

As with the 1st module, the car went through the startup checks and all warning lights went out in the normal order.
I drove the car for quite a while, stopping and restarting a number of times. Startup checks were still normal.
I parked the car at home and went back out after a couple of hours. Turned the ignition on and unfortunately, the engine fault light problem is back. ):

I have been checking the car each day at different times through the day.
I have found consistently, that if I leave the ignition on for up to 3 minutes the fault light goes out. At this stage the car starts straight away.
Drive the car for 20 minutes or so. Turn it off and go back after 5 minutes and ALAS ): , the engine fault light comes on during startup check.

I will try and find a knowegable Auto Electrician to see if he can shed any light on the problem.
I live near Campbelltown 2560 NSW. Can anyone recommend a electrician within 100 kms?
Thanks for the forum.

Regards

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’d suggest the second module is faulty.

Let’s say it was not faulty before, there must be something in the harness causing to much load or something causing too much resistance and damaging the ABS module.

That is what needs to be checked out.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You’ve tried unplugging the replacement module to repeat the test as you did the first time?

mickcha55

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore acclaim v6
Hello Fu Manchu. I will try that again.

I am finding that that scenarion is changeable. 2 or 3 times lately, when I go through startup, all the checks complete ok AND the engine fault light stays off. I drive the car normally and it runs perfectly.
It is consistently bringing the fault light back on and when leaving the ignition
ON, the fault light will go out within 20 to 30 seconds. Starts and runs well?

I would love to buy a reconditioned ABS Module, but they are expensive, and I am worried that I may still end up with the same engine fault light problem?
I will try and find a good price on a recon module.

Kind regards

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
are you fitting a 219 ABS module standard abs
do you have traction control 348 module
maybe time to get the abs unit scanned and see what abs code is being reported

Reactions: Lex