Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

a question do u have to install a relay on Hid with auto headlights

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
i have installed HID into my projector lights and fogs. am very happy with them. no real problems except for one. when i start the car. sometimes i get just one light one.. is when the auto headlights take over. but when i turn to headlights normally i get both. this is only happening about 2 times out of ten. the same when i set system to approach lights function on. same happens. just one light. but when i switch to manual and than back to auto i get both lights on have changed the ballasts still happens. .. really strange. i saw on a site a guy read about a relay

Ive been following some installation guides mainly in the pontiac g8s, and it seems that they are all saying that you either need to pull out some DRL fuse or install a relay harness to prevent damage to the ballasts. As far as I can tell this seems to have something to do with the auto-headlights feature. Is this the same in the VE's - do you need to do anything other than just plug the kit in?

anyone know about this. or had the same with the auto headlights on there VE SV6 or VE

thanks in advance.

dredrum

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Berlina Sedan
I'd like to keep my approach lighting...is it possible to have HIDs and this feature on?

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
will order the relay its annoying though i have to do this. but having good lights is worth it. would be nice to find a fix to leave the approach lights feature on. how did you get around the problem with hooking it up direct to battery.. as your battery is like mine in the boot.. where did you hook up the power line from relay.

thanks.

calais06

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais MY06
Id like to know this aswell, same problem with my HID's, does it with the foggies occasionally too.

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
might have to order relay for fogs too.. never noticed if my fogs are off.

VooDooWagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SSV Sportwagon M6
I think the best solution would be to have a relay on a timer if possible. It would be better if the HID's came on after the car is running.

It's the cranking of the engine that the HID's don't like, as they aren't getting full power when they light up. I'm no auto electrician so I'm not sure if that's possible.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Mine do this when I start the car with the lights ON or set to auto in the dark. The ballasts don't like the voltage pulsing as the engine is starting. All I do is turn the ignition to ON, turn the lights OFF, start the car. Was annoying at the start but is now just habit.

I did find with approach lighting on the HID would warm up slightly before starting the car and didn't once have the problem... But my battery is getting on in age so I don't like having the lights on with the car off anyway.

dredrum

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Berlina Sedan
Just installed HIDs...no issue with approach lighting or auto lights.

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
it doesn't have the problem right away you might get it 2 times out of 10 it happens. but u might not even notice it.. a little hard to notice if you lose a headlight for a min when driving. when the auto lights come on but if its dusk where still light outside and they do turn on you wont notice one missing as there is still light outside. the relay fixed the auto headlights. but the approach lights still play up a little.