Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

a stern warning to everyone out there

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
How much movement are we talking here? Mine has a bit of give but im guessing that was normal???

aZk.

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Design Fault

Garth said:
dont kn ow if it would be a design fault, bearings eventualy have to give way, its what they do. i mean it is a 16 yr old part and prob is part of the preventative maintance that should be carried out, who knows.

anyone got a vehicle service log book that can tell me what needs to be checked at 200,000km for a vn?

If the scenario is true in the first post it is most certainly a design fault.
For a part such as a bearing to fail with subsequent loss of steering is not acceptable under the ADR guidelines at any age. Unless Holden have listed the potential problem in the hand book (service schedule) or released an update to all owners they would be accountable for the fault.
Has anybody had this occur or know of it occurring?

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Garth I find it hard to follow what part you mean... do you have any pictures ?

I understand the brown bearing bit...but this bit is confusing

this inturn makes the steering colum colapes, as the steering colum seperates from the power steering attatchment just inside the engine bay, as it protrudes the fire wall, the steering colum is un-colapsable

[endQuote]

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
how should we go about replacing the part? diy or mechanic?

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
Pretender said:
If the scenario is true in the first post it is most certainly a design fault.
For a part such as a bearing to fail with subsequent loss of steering is not acceptable under the ADR guidelines at any age. Unless Holden have listed the potential problem in the hand book (service schedule) or released an update to all owners they would be accountable for the fault.
Has anybody had this occur or know of it occurring?

yeah, this has happend to me,

movement im talking about is not like the normal moving of the steering wheel with slack in power steering rack,

im talking bout actual movement of the steering wheel in a up and down motion, and a side to side movement.

it is a home job, you can do it yourself.
what happens is where the steering arm protrudes threw the fire wall it connects to the power steering rack, now, it's held in with a huge rubber gland and a small keyway, when the rack colapes it pulls out the rubber from the keyway and you loose all steering