Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

a

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Clock springs also handle horn and airbag as well as the steering wheel buttons. So if the horn and airbag are working, maybe it’s your after market head unit that isn’t handling the button signalling correctly.

Keep in mind that on older cars, the buttons were connected directly to the head unit but on newer overly computerised cars steering buttons go to the BCM which then sends serial data signals to the head unit. The VE is a modern overly computerised car, so it could be the head unit is not interpreting the serial data correctly, so thing had unplugged itself or the clock spring is faulty.

So why do you think the clock spring is faulty?
How have you isolated the fault to the clock spring?

Note that this Alpine 702d VE kit states the following:
NOTE: THis install kit will NOT work with Dual zone climate control models
I’m not sure what that means but if steering wheel buttons were working before the headunit upgrade, then consider talking to your kit supplier...

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
I replaced the clockspring on our SV6, no programing needed. Straighforward parts swap.

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, intermittent cruise, if they use buttons on the steering wheel are an indication the clock spring has some fault.

Clock springs are easy to test as they all seem to use a resistive ladder arrangement for the buttons. That means the resistance changes when different buttons are pressed. So using a multimeter and checking resistance while wiggling steering from side to side should tell you if it's ok.

BUT airbags are dangerous and i've no idea what volts or current can set them off, so i wouldn't connect a multimeter until you look at the service manual procedures for this and read and understand it in detail. (usually it's to disconnect car battery and wait a while, then disconnect front airbag connector). Now you can test the existing clock spring before considering replacement.

If it is faulty, great, then replacement is easy. No reprograming is needed because it's just a flat ribbon cable with connectors each end. Disconnect the car battery and wait a while to discharge the airbag system. Then take off the steering wheel (which you've centred already) and now you should be able to see the clock spring. Each vehicle brand/make/model has its own methods tp remove the clock spring but it's reasonably straight forward and should be self evident. Ideally you need a steering wheel puller to safely remove the wheel (i've seen a person smack themselves on the forehead manually pulling the wheel off; the laughter wasn't appreciated).

The only issue is that new clock springs are centred and have a pin that you pull during install. With an old clock spring, you have to gently find and centre the device. Gently and fully rotating one way and then the other way counting the turns. Then you must ensure its centred before installing. Otherwise if its not centred, and you install it (turned half way to the left), the first time you do a full turn (to the left), you'll tear the flat ribbon cable within the clock spring housing.

But if you can't fault the clock spring during the test, it's something else...

I can't point you to VE workshop manual but google may help on that front.

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Yeah, intermittent cruise, if they use buttons on the steering wheel are an indication the clock spring has some fault.

Its a VE(E series), cruise control is on the indicator stalk.

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hmm, what might be causing that do you think? It will work for 15 minutes and then cut out. Then work for 5 minutes, then cut out. I just reset it but its annoying none the less.
Stop light switch on the foot brake. Try turning it out 1 turn.

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Its a VE(E series), cruise control is on the indicator stalk.
Thanks for the heads up. I‘ve not owned a VE but had a vague recollection one model had cruise buttons on the indicator stalk. I couldn’t remember if it was VE or earlier which is why my statement was conditional.

It does seem that @Subju should still test his clock spring, just to satisfy himself whether it’s faulty. I’d suspect it’d test ok. If that’s the case then he needs to check the various plugs on the head unit are indeed correctly plugged together. Could also be one of the three harnesses that such kits usually provide may be faulty. It’s a pain but can’t be avoided.

Other than that, no idea what may be wrong, could be the head unit needs a firmware update.