Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

holdenhero

Car idiot
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT
Hey guys

I know this question has been asked before (eg: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vr-vs-holden-commodore-1993-1997/154902-abs-brakes.html), usually by people that don't realise its actually something hard to do and that give up but I'm pretty keen on the idea so here goes.

I'm thinking of fitting ABS to a non-ABS vehicle. I'm wondering HOW this could be done.

There is no model of this car which came with ABS so I wont be able to just 'get a wrecked car with everything' or to go and view how its been done on something similar. I'd also like to use a relatively modern ABS system (at least a 4 channel, 4 sensor system) rather than something which bearly works. I'm not really too interested in traction control or ASR or anything, only the basic ABS function.

To my understanding, I would need speed sensors on each wheel, valves in the brake lines, a pump and the ECU.

I'm planning on putting in a Ford (yes, Ford, I know...) 9" differential so would I be able to get a braking system from a more modern car which bolts into that somewhere along the line and just get custom mounts and brake lines made which would include the sensors?
For the valves, would I be able to cut the brake lines and peice a bit in, or would I need a complete custom brake line with the valves inside?
I am assuming the pump can be mounted nearly anywhere as long as its hooked up correctly? Is there any issue or problems with the pump?
As for the ECU, as far as I know this only reads the data sent to it from the wheel sensors and tells the valves what to do. Am I wrong? (Yes, I understand the most advanced systems even take into account wheel angle, etc - however I'm talking about basic ABS)

Is there anything else I am missing or need to know? What problems will I face and whats the best way to go about this?

PS. Please don't bother replying with 'it costs more than the car' or 'i wouldnt bother' as its not helpful and your just displaying your lack of knowledge

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
What sort of car do you want to fit it to?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You will need to work out a way to fit the 4 wheel sensors,the 4 sensor pickup magnets,all their assosciated wiring,you also need to work out a way to fit the ABS computer module plus wiring, and the actual modulator and its wiring and pipe connections.Im not even sure if the ABS computer is tied in with the ECU and/or BCM,if it is,it makes it even more complicated.

holdenhero

Car idiot
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT
Thanks for your reply.

I'm thinking of using a 9" diff and I'm sure that some vehicles with 9" diff's also have ABS so if thats the case I should be able to get the whole thing put together... I think the newest ABS modules are tied up with the BCM so I was thinking of going for something out of a VS-VX but I'll have to dive into diagrams for awhile.

Thanks again mate.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I know a lot of diff repair places will fit commodore axle tubes to 9 inch centre housings,so you could easily get the commodore ones fitted, you can then run the commodore rear ABS sensors and pickups.You would also have to get the normal commodore axles resplined as the ford 9 inch centre will have different axle splines to a normal commodore axle.As for the front,Ive no idea how your gonna set it up.You would have to fit ABS equipped commodore front hub assemblies which im pretty sure have the ABS sensor and pickup magnet built into it.