Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

accelerating hard, =funny smell ???

philsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6
whats the burning smell thats comes from an sv6 if u accelerate hard?

Say your overtaking someone on the hwy and you push it to 6000, then you park the car a few min later, i get this burned oil smell come through. Initialy I thought it may be just the brakes, but its not.

You think the smell would come from the gearbox or engine?

brokenikon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Maloo: 2008 VE SV6: 2004 VY II R8 Maloo
Back in my day, that funny smell would be the clutch, but I seriously doubt thats the issue if you were overtaking someone.
Not sure what it could be, Holden motors are pretty strong. Had it serviced recently? Need some quality oil running through the beast if your pushing it that hard, so *could* be it.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
pushing the car hard (6000 is pretty hard!) and then parking it a few minutes later cant be good for the car anyway.

but to answer your question, that funny smell is definitely the clutch having a hard time. if your initial thoughts were brakes, this can be explained because the material used in brake pads is very similar to the clutch puck.
gearbox oil smells... well, like oil (like engine oil) and is pretty easy to work out if leaking because itll probably leave marks on the ground.

my bet is your clutch isnt handling the whipping you are giving it (or it needs adjustment). any slipping when you dump it?

trevmanox

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE SV6 Sportwagon VOODOO
I tend to get this too - but i'm assuming the car's just new - picked it up on Saturday :) And mine's an Auto ..............hmmmm

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Sounds like oil spitting out somewhere under hard revs/loading and spilling onto Exhaust? Being a newish car you should be able to check under neath and see some evidence. If it is an oil burning smell.

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
I immediately thought of "Eau de Colon" when I read this thread title...

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
I tend to get this too - but i'm assuming the car's just new - picked it up on Saturday :) And mine's an Auto ..............hmmmm

thats different.... new cars will always smell for a while, thats just the protective coating thats left on the exhaust and other bits to stop it from rusting sitting at the warehouse. All new cars smell when they reach operating temp. It'll go away with time.

Scorpion_Shooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 UTE MY9.5
Read the manual about the air-conditioning. It lets fresh air in everynow and then ;)