Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Accident

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
hehe yeah. More so in comparison to the VS, the ecotec engine has too many issues imo.

Would you care to explain some of these issues?

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Man they only write it off to give you the money if its going to cost that much to repair.

If it has structural damage and costs $3,000 to repair, they aint going to write it off and give you 5 grand.

If the cost of repairs outweigh the value of the vehicle, then they will write it off. I also highly doubt they will in fact give you $5,000...

Not quite. I got rear ended pretty badly 4 weeks ago. Pretty much demolished the boot, the fuel tank and structural damage. After the assessment there is about $10,000 worth of damage. My insurance company gave me the choice of having the damage repaired OR have it written off and get a payout figure of $13,600. I've chosen to have it repaired based on the fact that there are not too many VS factory supercharged calais' getting around in the great condidtion mine is... or was in. My insurance company offered me the payout because they feel they could get back the difference by selling it off to a wrecker for spares. An L67 engine with low km's can fetch upwards of $3500 alone.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Would you care to explain some of these issues?

haha i'll quote some stuff if I must.

Our VS and VT have had heaps of problems, and the only problems i've had in 2 years on my VN which has 100,000km's more on it than both the VS and VT, is the fuel filter and a loose pressure hose on the power steering. Plus the VN gets driven more, it gets driven alot harder and it goes longer between services.

Plus the Ecotec sounds like a blender on steroids at high revs :whistling

Anyways heres a quote that says some stuff:

The VP followed in 1991 and to date in our opinion is the best Commodore ever released. Even by 2005 standards we very rarely have to do any repairs to these ever reliable units bar general servicing. Holden seemed to have sorted out the teething problems they experienced with the early VN. The VR Commodore followed in 1993 and was basically the same as the VP but with cosmetic changes in the lights and dash areas. This was another great car which gives few problems.

VS/VT DRAMAS

If we take a closer look at the EcoTech engine we can see that there are no welsh plugs in the rear of the engine. These have been replaced with a rear seal locating plate which replaces the welsh plugs and oil plugs for the camshaft. These have created a major drama in the forms of oil leaks and coolant leaks. The job can be done by just removing the transmission but to do a 100% job the engine has to come out as the sump and rear plate are all intertwined. You also require special tools to locate the rear plate correctly because the rear engine seal sits in this plate, different to earlier engines. If the rear plate is replaced and not aligned, the rear seal will leak.

Automatic transmissions in the VS became a drama burning out. There is a plastic valve near the transmission pump that seizes up causing the fluid to over heat. We have seen some transmission's that have been so hot that the plastic wiring plugs on the solenoid's have melted. A heavier spring under this valve is installed on reconditioning so it won't happen again. On the VT, the sump of the transmission had a capacity increase which seems to have rectified this problem

CONCLUSION

The Commodore is a comfortable family orientated car and the later the model the better. I would tend to stay away from the VS and VT as these seem to be so expensive to keep on the road. The VX or even the VY is the pick of the bunch. It is a bit early to judge the VZ as of 2005. The pick of the early models is the VP or VR.

Last edited:

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
haha i'll quote some stuff if I must.

Our VS and VT have had heaps of problems, and the only problems i've had in 2 years on my VN which has 100,000km's more on it than both the VS and VT, is the fuel filter and a loose pressure hose on the power steering. Plus the VN gets driven more, it gets driven alot harder and it goes longer between services.

Plus the Ecotec sounds like a blender on steroids at high revs :whistling

Anyways heres a quote that says some stuff:

Whats your source for that quote? My first car was a series 1 VS exec. Sold it 9 months ago with 387,000km's on the clock. It's only fault was it needed a new diff. Original transmission and all original ecotec. Owned it for close to 8 years and couldn't fault it. The ecotec engines were near bullet proof.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Whats your source for that quote? My first car was a series 1 VS exec. Sold it 9 months ago with 387,000km's on the clock. It's only fault was it needed a new diff. Original transmission and all original ecotec. Owned it for close to 8 years and couldn't fault it. The ecotec engines were near bullet proof.

Every car is different mate. Obviously that one was the opposite to our VS and our VT.

The source is some automotive replace.. I will find the link later.. Im on a uni computer so I do not have it bookmarked. However, the point remains, what is said is completely factual, supported with reasons.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
What you said in the earlier quote re VS and VT vs VP/VR works for me :). It wouldnt stop me from buying a VS or VT though.

Re. insurance: While the details of each insurance policy differ, generally, if you are not at fault and are personally claiming damages from another insurance policy (person), you get the lower of the repair cost or the car's (book) value, as assessed by their insurance company. If you think the value offered is too low, you can ask for more, with your own quotes or valuations, indicating that you are prepared to go to court over it. If the claim is through a comprehensive policy, the insurance company generally has some claim to ownership of the damaged vehicle. If you ask, they will usually give you first bid if you want to buy it off them as it saves the costs of them having to tow and sell it at auction. If the numbers are comparable between repair and wreck, you often get the choice between repair and wreck. There is a difference between making a claim personally and through an insurance company (policy) where you are authorising them to act on your behalf.

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
ACCIDENTS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when i had my smash i went straight to the other persons insurance company a dealt with them directly, took 1 week for the repairs to start, had it back within 1 month, the car went to Chassis Tech, bo repairs and a panel shop.... and was towed to all of them ;)

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
What you said in the earlier quote re VS and VT vs VP/VR works for me :). It wouldnt stop me from buying a VS or VT though.

Re. insurance: While the details of each insurance policy differ, generally, if you are not at fault and are personally claiming damages from another insurance policy (person), you get the lower of the repair cost or the car's (book) value, as assessed by their insurance company. If you think the value offered is too low, you can ask for more, with your own quotes or valuations, indicating that you are prepared to go to court over it. If the claim is through a comprehensive policy, the insurance company generally has some claim to ownership of the damaged vehicle. If you ask, they will usually give you first bid if you want to buy it off them as it saves the costs of them having to tow and sell it at auction. If the numbers are comparable between repair and wreck, you often get the choice between repair and wreck. There is a difference between making a claim personally and through an insurance company (policy) where you are authorising them to act on your behalf.

Wouldnt stop me either :p Half my driving is in VS or VT. VS is a great car still and has many other advantages over the VN. The exterior and build quality is ALOT better. As is the interior quality. VS steering is less responsive though, but it brakes sooo much better. VT is good, but im more of a fan of the VN-VS interior, the VT is too closed for me, very tight.

Overall the VN S2 is my favourite, and thats why I bought one. I love the VP engine, but dont like the VP indicators/guards and bonnet and front grill. Thats why I bought the VN S2, best of both. My pick of the bunch would be the VX though, but I couldnt afford one :(