Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adding ABS

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Got a bit of a weird question, if all the ABS gear was added to a non ABS VT, does anyone know if the tech 2 is needed to change anything in the BCM? or PCM? or is it not that simple by enable and disabling an ABS feature in that way and u will need a whole new module set that already has ABS in it?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Got a bit of a weird question, if all the ABS gear was added to a non ABS VT, does anyone know if the tech 2 is needed to change anything in the BCM? or PCM? or is it not that simple by enable and disabling an ABS feature in that way and u will need a whole new module set that already has ABS in it?
Hi
I have done this conversion on my vt exec. wagon.
If you have all the hardware NO scanner is needed.
Pcm & bcm stays the same.
Brains are in the abs module.
I suppose you know what is needed?
Its a huge job. Not for the faint hearted.
I did mine in sections.
Started passenger & side air bags (safety) then climate control (for this you have to change the hvac unit, bcm & forward wiring loom + engine bay fuse box.
About a year later I realised it had added the wiring plug for abs module & front hub sensors. So l only needed to add the above wiring, module & sensors. Later l added the rear wiring, mounted the pulse rings & sensors on the diff housing ( abs module had traction control as well, so l had to install a rear right brake line as well front brake lines. I also had a calais dash cluster, which had the abs traction lights in it. I also needed to put in the traction control switch near the shifter. Also needed was the brake vacuum booster.
If your only doing the abs, you will not need traction c switch or the rear right side brake line pipe.
There are abs modules just for abs & modules for abs & traction control. So if you install a module for abs & t/c & you don't add the t/c components, your dash will light up & a beeping alarm. The module will be looking for the missing t/c parts.
Hope this helps you & that l haven't forgotten anything.So if only doing abs, just get the abs module.
All the best if you go ahead with the upgrade.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
cheers mate actually im not doing the conversion basically was lookin to put another PCM, BCM and fob key into a vt with out abs but the only set i have found that matches comes from a car that has abs but since u say the brains is all in the abs module i guess u've answered my question :) cheers mate.