Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adjustable panhard rod ?

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Having seen these for sale I have to ask why one would want an adjustable version and what physical difference it would make to the rear end by either extending or shortening the panhard rod.

Perhaps a dum question but if someone knows I would appreciate the facts of why they are available and what they do.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Check the thread in VN/VP from greenfoam on the FEII rod,it will shed some light

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
a panhard bars' job is to locate the rear axle. one end is anchored to the axle the other to the car body. when you raise or lower the vehicle, this pulls or pushes the axle to one side of the car. an adjustable one allows the axle to be located correctly once you have installed your different springs. it would be of pretty much no use if the vehicle is standard..... :thumbsup:

PEAKN6

Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbros.co.nr
Members Ride
1982 VH SL/X 6cyl 4spd, soon to be a Mild 253
if u lower ur car, most cars with standard panhard rods will push the axle to the driver side of the car more than the passenger side, where as if u had an adjustable 1 u can make the panhard rod shorter and that will centre the axle again.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Just to add when I lowered my VK I found the diff alignment was out 25mm so an adjustable panhard rod is a must.

Also if you want to run a 3" exhaust on say a VL Turbo or a V8 you need an adjustable panhard rod with a kink in it to allow for extra exhaust clearance else the straight panhard rod will come up and hit the exhaust.

cheers
Scott

Nevalone

Reaction score
Members Ride
'03 VY Clubsport
My VR has 19's on it and they rub on the inner guard on the passenger side(not wheel arch) just by having a passenger in the rear left or weight in the boot. Will an adjustable stop the rubbing? Also the right rear has a mean camber on it will it fix this?

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
the right rear has a mean camber??? sounds like your car has irs which means they dont have a panhard rod,its only for live axel

WhiteVSLion

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 Ecotec White Vs Commodore Utility
Gday guys, i bought a vs commodore with king lowered springs already installed. The car pulls to the left, although tires are due for renewal, could the panhard rod being stock ( i assume) contributing to this annoying steering pull? Right hand wheel also seems to make a 'binding' noise every now and again when steering at low speeds (i.e. car parks). Cheers guys!

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
Neither of those things would be caused by a miss aligned rear axle. The pulling issue could be a couple of things, start with a good front wheel alignment.

The binding noise is a common fault with the VR/VS. There's a rubber bush that supports the steering column as it goes through the firewall. It dries out and rubs on the column as you turn. It's visible from the engine bay, you've just gotta get some grease between the shaft and the bush.

WhiteVSLion

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 Ecotec White Vs Commodore Utility
Thanks maldotcom2, appreciated.