Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adjusting bonnet striker/jammed bonnet on VK

BlackCaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
Phantom WL Caprice 5.7 V8
Hey all,

We've got this VK we're doing up and we've got a case of the old 'bonnet doesn't open unless someone is pushing down on it' scenario...

Now for those in the know, does the adjustment need to be made in the cable somehow, or the bonnet striker itself (or both). The cable seems to be doing it's job (although it has been removed and then put back on after painting) and I'm afraid to adjust the striker any tighter for fear we can't get the thing open at all. (Or does it need ot be much looser?)

Has anyone had the same issues and come up with a solution as to what to try first?

Thanks for any info or ideas!

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 XR6T & 1990 VN dragcar project
The adjustment gets made to the bonnet striker itself.
Grab a big arse spanner/shifter/multi-grips and loosen off the big nut slightly,
Than use a flat head screwdriver to make the adjustments (screw it in or out)

Hope that helps!

BlackCaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks mate, yeah I know 'how' to adjust it, just wanted to know if the issue of a sticking bonnet is a striker being too tight or too loose. Too tight and it may not pop open but too loose and there may not be enough resistance against the latch to release it.

Just want people's experiences before I go tightening or loosening :)

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
the two rubber bumpers on the front of the rad support will provide you hours of entertainment. if they are up too high, itll lock the bonnet. just twist them by hand all the way down and see if that helps.

i had mine too high and i had to hit the bonnet while pulling the bonnet lever at the same time... fonzie style :D

BlackCaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah those adjustable bonnet stops aren't even on the car so it can't be them!

(used to have a VL where'd you could hit the corner of the bonnet and it would pop up!

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd adjust the striker, worst comes to worst the bonnet won't open and you'll just have to manually do it

If you do it with the grill out and without doing the nut back up stupidly tight, you can just unscrew it again until you can 'pop' it. If its too tight lay under the car and reach up and pull the cable manually while someone presses on the bonnet.

I've had all sorts of stubborn bonnet catches, used to have a WB ute that regardless of how you adjusted the striker, you had to jump onto the bonnet to close the bloody thing.

BlackCaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's got a Brock front spoiler so there's no way in hell you can reach the cable from underneath (unless I had 3 elbows :) ) I'll take the grille out and see if I have good access and try the adjustment you suggested, bit by bit to see if I can get it spot on.

Cheers fellas

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
seen a guy break his arm looked like he had 2 elbows..... never seen 3 though, can't help you there!

Good luck with the striker though.

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
:lmao: nah, was riding a pushy.

ahh those were the days........... pfft f*%k riding, struggle to walk to the car to go to work!
Hell, im not even the one driving!