Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Adjusting to a new job.

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
Good to see no suck it up comments! lol

Good advice in previous posts,sleep and breakfast fairly crucial imo too..last time I started a 12hr shift job,starting at 5am,i had never been good at eating breakfast(I was 46 at the time btw) yet pretty much straight away I made time for a feed and coffee almost every day.Allow for 7+ hours of sleep every night and it will get better OP.

Not sure if its hot weather/work a lot of the time but plenty of nice cold water is bloody good for you too.

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Iv been doin this type of hours for a fer few years now, it's just something you get use to, usually I get 6-7 hours sleep a night rearly do I get 8 or more, and it's the same story with most of my work mates, it's just a matter of pacing your self, you carnt go out and slog ur guts out trying to prove your the worlds best worker because then u will become stuffed and fatigue and become a danger to hurting your self from lack of attention to your surrounding

Some people at my work eat breaks others don't, I don't but my morning coffee is a must lol and I would say eating it would be better

Just work at comfortable pace don't rush and you will be fine, it will seam hard at first but you get use to it fearly quickly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
breakfast
lunch
dinner

take EVERY scrap of break you can, they are there for a reason.
dont skip meals
if someone asked to to help them for a second doing something you dont normall do (as long as it wont get you in ****) then do it. even if its a "shitter" task than what you normally do *to a degree, everyone will try and munch the new guy* then do it, repetition will kill you, new stuff will keep you occupied.

leave your phone in the car or at home
figure out who the guys are that are respected by the bosses and the douchbags and make friends with the respected guys. replicate them. do everything you can to be a valued asset.
work hard
dont swear
any chance to learn new things JUMP at it.

thats just how i roll

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Fresh juice in the morning. Drink it on the drive to work.

Smallish smoko include fruit.

Big lunch.

Small dinner, In bed by 9 or as close to as possible.
You will adjust but it will take time.
What work is it your doing? Are you out in the sun all day?

As far as sleep patterns this is good advise, I used to do the same working the same situation.

I might add that only use the bedroom for sleeping (and rooting :) ) but avoid watching TV etc in there, this helps train your mind that when you go to bed it is sleep time.

Being completely stuffed after a 12 hour day also helps re-arrange sleep patterns quite quickly.

Also try not to come home and jump straight into bed with your mind going 100mph, take some time to wind down.

Woody_SS

Defective User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
For the 1st few weeks atleast try not to change your going to bed and wake up times on the weekends. I personally wouldn't change your eating habits until you've got your body used to a new pattern (1 step at a time)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
And because you said you were expecting this comment....

Harden up princess.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
i went from not having a job and waking up around 10-11 to getting a job and waking up at 3.45am every morning. not much has changed except for setting an alarm clock. i eat like an animal for gym. and go bed before 9 instead of 2-3 in the morning. every couple of hours me and the boss get up and go for walk around the depot to stretch our legs and get away from the desk.

my best mate went from working at bunnings to being a brickie. he went through hell. from a cruisy job to gettin treated like an apprentice dog, working so hard he felt like throwing up. the job in all honesty hurt his ego. his now ex missus use to tell him hes going no where being a brickie, that hes an idiot for leaving bunnings and not moving up there. he was a gym junkie with a built body. hes lost a majority of it as you could imagine the reasons why.

but now he has a new missus (one i actually like, his ex was a c**t) hes almost finished his apprenticeship. hes buildin a house with his missus and wants to go out on his own once qualified.

change is always hard at the start, but once you get into it becomes second nature.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
I'd say this about changing sleep patterns (which can take time).

Don't stress or worry if you're not falling asleep when going to be. Just lay in bed, relax, clear you mind and chill you'll fall asleep eventually and your body will slowly adjust over time. Stressing about not getting to sleep will only make it worse. Just set an alarm and get up as soon as it goes off and get moving. It'll teach to body that it's not getting any more rest and will help adjust. I'd also say a good sleep pattern is 7 days a week. I don't believe you should have any differences from work days to non-work days.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Strap yourself in.

Coffee & breakfast are key. I'm useless if I don't have breakfast and practically inhale coffee (having a coffee machine in the office probably helps).

Other than that prepare yourself mentally, it's a big week don't wear yourself out getting stressed or going out at night early on - there's a good chance you'll hit a wall after 3 months or so (that's my experience) - everyone has different reactions but push through it'll pass, it takes 6-8 or so months to really settle in to the new life style and be comfortable around everyone at work.

Changing sleep patterns isn't so hard, just set the alarm - you'll be tired as fk the next day, but the next night you'll sleep like a baby. Shouldn't take more than a couple of days for your body to adjust, your mind though is another story.