Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice needed about cameras

GLITRES

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8 6 litre
Hey guys,
I'm looking at getting a new camera, as the one I have is just a cannon 8megapixel one.
I don't know anything about cameras, so I'm asking for advice as to what to look for in the features department.
My budget is about $1000 so if anyone could tell me what I should be looking for or even suggest one that would be great.
Thanks

Last edited:

thewheeldeal com au

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
www.dpreview.com

Best advice I can give...

I chose my camera based on the info on this site and it has been fantastic since day 1 and that was 6 years ago.

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
base model canon DSLR twin lens kit :) canon 1000D

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
Do you want a little point and shoot thing, or do you want a big and bulky, but uber quality, DSLR? If you don't mind the size, then DSLR is the way to go, point and shoot cameras that match their optical quality are few and far between. By the same token, you will be hard pressed to find a DSLR you can carry around in your pocket ;)

Is portability a priority? What will you be shooting; people, random shots, landscapes etc? Will you have budget to add on to your equipment after your initial purchase? If you know the terms, do you intend to shoot in RAW format, or in JPG?

DSLRs cost more in general, but the end results can be far superior to most point and shoots, if you handle it properly. A large part of that is the ability to post-process a RAW file instead of an already-compressed image file. Almost all DSLRs have the option to shoot in RAW, as do some point and shoot cameras.

I myself have a Canon 40D DSLR with some less-than-portable lenses, I need to use a camera bag to carry my lenses. It's a decent sized backpack, and can get a little heavy if you're walking all day carrying it. Personally, I think it is absolutely worth the tradeoff in weight for the sake of the pictures you can capture.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine

GLITRES

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V8 6 litre
thanks for you advice guys, helped alot.
I should have made it clear in my first post that I'm lookin more at quality rather than practicality.
I'll let ya know what i end up choosing.
Thanks again

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I should have made it clear in my first post that I'm lookin more at quality rather than practicality.

Up your budget a few thousand then :)

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
Up your budget a few thousand then :)

Hey, that's not fair :p You can get good quality out of $1000, you're just a little limited in certain areas... 1000D twin lens kit would cover most situations anyway, sure there are higher quality options for more cash, but that's how it is with everything in life. There's always a step up if you've got the cash.