Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Advice to install/fit lip spoiler

Hazard-ous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Commodore
Hi all,

I bought a lip/bobtail spoiler about 2 years ago for my VE and FINALLY got it painted last week. But I’m a little baffled on how to fit/install it as I don’t remember there being anything apart from screws provided.

So my question is how have you installed/fitted yours? I’m concerned about the spoiler rubbing on the boot paintwork or water getting into the boot. Any tips you have would be greatly appreciated :surprise:

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Put double sided tape around the edges so it doesn't rub the paintwork, also keeps water and dirt out.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
It shouldn't. Stock spoiler has double sided tape on it.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
The one I got (Senator style wing) had single-sided foam tape on it. So the sticky side was stuck to the bottom of the wing and the foam presses up against the boot lid when it's all screwed up nice and tight.

Also, you won't have any leaks into the boot. Have a look at where the holes are. Any leakage would just go into the gutter around the edge of the boot and drain away.

*EDIT* Be sure to put the foam tape a couple of mm inside from the edge of the wing. That way, when it gets squashed up against the boot lid, you won't see it. Makes for a much neater look. :)

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I've had a G8 boot lip spoiler on my VE for four years now.

I purchased it in Melbourne, had it painted Heron white as the car is, made sure the boot was very clean, and ran a bead of Sixaflex on all the places the lip will contact the boot. Taped it down to hold it in place for 24 hours, and job was done.

P.S. Should mention, no holes drilled to hold it on. Sixaflex does a perfect job.

Last edited:

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
That's fine if you don't have holes in your boot lid. I'm assuming the OP does, as he's got an SS.

In that case, no need to use both the bolts and Sikaflex. You'd only use one or the other IMO.

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
I'm ready to Install a boot lip spoiler for my ve.

Can you still use the clips that need to drilled and clipped into your boot and double sided tap provided ?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I'm ready to Install a boot lip spoiler for my ve.

Can you still use the clips that need to drilled and clipped into your boot and double sided tap provided ?

If your car has no holes in the boot, then why go to the trouble of drilling holes that will probably promote rust? Just do as I did and buy yourself a tube of Sikaflex adhesive. The lip will not come off. Modern vehicles are glued together with this type of adhesive.

If your car has holes in the boot from a wing, and the boot lip covers them and can be used to hold it down using bolts, then I guess that's probably the way to go also using the DST that comes with the package as well.........Personally I would plug the holes with rubber bungs and still use the Sikaflex to hold the lip on.

I would never drill holes anywhere in a car if there was a better way.

Hazard-ous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Commodore
Not sure if I want the lip there permanently with sikaflex. So how thick was the foam tape you used Davey g-force?
Also, what did you put between the screws to stop water getting in to the boot?
Only screws were supplied when I bought the lip, nothing else.