Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

(AFM) Active Fuel Management

KITTAU

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 V8 VE Calais V 60th Anniversary Edition
Im sure it would either have a badge, something to show you when it turns on or a the very least the info would prob be in the manual.
AFAIK they are not being delivered until march with AFM.

You are correct... A display comes up on the instrument panel to let you know its in 4cyl mode...

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
lurking an old post ... lol

so how often does it change? does it feel slow at any point in time? can you tell that it has de-activated cylinders?

sorry if this is too late ,

but it switchs them on acceleration ( throttle ) or speed ( over 120km I rekoon )

it never feels slow, and you always have the power when you need it, you can never notice it switching , except when you floor it, the RPM meter move fast as hell ( SOOO Awesome :D )

you can't tell when it's switching, there is not even a light or anything

anything more, just PM me ;)

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
So if it was on all cars from VZ 6.0LTR on can you activate it with a laptop and a program, and what about activating it on manuals because everybody say it's standard so has any one tried?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Im sure it would either have a badge, something to show you when it turns on or a the very least the info would prob be in the manual.
AFAIK they are not being delivered until march with AFM.

Some were delivered early with AFM, and these examples didnt have any badging nor the message displayed when it became active.

The message can be turned on with Tech2 and the badges can be bought from Holden Spares.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Only reason i bring it up is because my sister brought a '09 VE Calais V Sportswagon last month and got told that they didn't come with badges.
Then got told at the first service that they hadn't turned it on at the factory and thats why it didn't have a badge so as per usual you just expect from (holden servicing) their full of S*^T and she didn't know if they where telling the truth, but looks like they are and the sales person just didn't know what was going on about and service centre got it right.
So there you go!

travs_g8gt

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
I have a 2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT with AFM here in the USA. Manual transmission isn't an option here with the 6.0, so I have the 6speed auto.

My personal experience with AFM has been good. On the highway, I'm getting around 24miles per gallon, but of course in town, it goes down into the teens. Not much worse than my Infiniti G35 Coupe (skyline R34 there?). I can't tell when it kicks in and with the stock exhaust there is no audible change in the exhaust note either.

Caveats: The G8 forums here state that sometimes some drivers feel a slight shake in the steering wheel when AFM kicks in.

Also, there are reports of exhaust drone in AFM mode with aftermarket exhaust systems. One company here, Corsa, has engineered a supposedly droneless system that deals with AFM. It is pricey though at $1309+shipping USD. It gets good reviews.

All in all, the AFM stays out of the way and is seamless, so I don't mind it. I haven't driven a G8GT without it though, so maybe I would notice it then? Hope this info is helpful! :)

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
so i am to understand that all L98 motors have AFM that can be activated?

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
so i am to understand that all L98 motors have AFM that can be activated?

yeah that would be interesting ...

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
To activate the AFM in the VZ's you would be looking at a few thousand worth of mods. As far as i know, while the hardware is there for it, the solenoids, wiring etc isnt.

So it would mean, motor out, installing the remaining pieces, new wiring loom, and new modules etc.