Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Afm

SeattleG8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Not sure what engine he was talking about, one of the SIDIs, but a bloke at work was saying he watched a video that demonstrates how smart these engines are. They basically drained the radiator and ran the car around their proving grounds towing a caravan until it wouldn't go anymore. As the cylinders in use began to get too hot, it would switch to other cylinders to keep the car running. it wasn't running on all cylinders, but just enough to get you somewhere without blowing the thing up.

Not sure how accurate that description is, as it's only hear say.

That's a different technology. As the engine overheats it goes into a limp mode of reduced power, and as you noted deactivates four cylinders (two on each side to maintain balance but don't know the sequence) so that the engine doesn't completely shred itself. I didn't find anything in my owner's manual (USA) or the Holden VE one I ordered (AUS) that indicated a range. I had a Chevrolet Avalanche (USA) with the 5.3L V8 and that had a specific, no coolant in the engine range of 50 miles. In Iraq/Afghanistan the private security firms love the GM products because of this built in limp mode feature. A vehicle can get shot up and loose all its coolant and still be able to get the vehicle out of the kill zone and likely to safety, even in the desert heat of Iraq. A lot of GMT800 2500 series Avalanches with the big block 8.1 V8 went to Iraq because of the durability of the engine, the limp mode built into the tranny and engine, and the suspension being able to take the weight of the added armor. Additionally the bed lent itself perfectly for the mounting of a 50 caliber machine gun and chair for an operator (talk about a suck job though, basically completely exposed while in the gun mount, no thanks)

Ya went off topic, but the "limp mode" technology for overheat condition is different from the AFM technology, and boys and girls, don't drive your VE without coolant to see if it works or not. ;-)

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Ford had the limp mode in the AU's but that was mostly because the 4.0litre were best know for their head blowing technology! LOL