Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

After market headunit problems

V

vyyoot

I had a Kenwood headunit installed a couple of weeks ago. I still have all of my computer functions, except for speed dependant volume and distortion limiter. It was installed by a big car audio retailer in Sydney. So it is possible for the computer to function normally with an aftermarket unit.

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
I vaguely remember something about these settings needing to be disabled before the stock HU is removed. In other words, once it is removed there is no way to change the settings without putting it back in.
BTW..... mine works fine, only missing the speed dependent volume, distortion and radio/cd display now.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
it seems as though there is no simple soloution, the cluster can be programmed to have no HU data but its not just a simple thing, ill see if it can be done with a tech2

Rob

CJS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec 2004
So how did we go Bob? Any luck with the Tech2? If so, where would I take my baby to get re-programed? Holden? Thanks in advance.

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
well got my 7" Double din kenwood screen dvd/mp3 etc player in, no loss of any functions whatsoever in my computer settings.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
OK guys the answer is......
if its a VZ take tha car to Holden & have them reflash the dash with the latest software (this may also include the Engine controller software) this should fix up the missing options.
if its a VY there is no easy fix like that, it may be possible with some custom programming, but not sure
Rob

that4tuneguy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim
Ok cool that's not too bad, any idea how much that would cost for them to do? I am going to be install a new unit end of next month.

jaisvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VZ SV6
they should do it at no charge.
just ask them to do it next time you get something fixed under warantee...

CJS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec 2004
Many thanks Doctor Bob! And thanks to everyone else for your input. I'll book me VZ in at Holden and will post my results as soon as its done. Cheers!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 04 S/W
Hey there,

What if you pull out the standard head deck than put it back again does it still happen or will the menus still be there?

Thanks

pat