Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

After mechanic fixed the streering rack turning wheels a bit rough

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
that was the term they used.
when the engine is running and the car is not moving, the engine is not running as smooth as it used to be. Not literally vibrating per se.
when the wheels are turned close to max, there is a sound and slight vibration.

one of the mechanics there told me he personally has a holden like mine, with double the km, and more wear and tear but his engine is running, what i understood as, smoother (he said not vibrating as mine).
Vibrating is felt at the steering wheel and most old VT/VX do this when even idling, and it aint unbalanced tyres, usually through chassis to steering wheel from bushes and even steering rack/kframes. Its no big deal just old age/wear n tear :)

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Vibrating is felt at the steering wheel and most old VT/VX do this when even idling, and it aint unbalanced tyres, usually through chassis to steering wheel from bushes and even steering rack/kframes. Its no big deal just old age/wear n tear :)
vibrating sounds like engine mounting cracked or engine misfiring and also you shouldn't keep steering locked to one side to long, of course your going to get noises and it causes wear on pump/hydraulics.

Member 1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Its no big deal just old age/wear n tear
Thanks.
also you shouldn't keep steering locked to one side to long
of course, I do not keep the steering locked to any side for long.
The noise and roughness is when I turn the wheel to the extent to park the car. Even then, I do not get to the stage that wheels are locked.

Last edited:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
what is your engine idle speed

Member 1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Alright, took it back to them and this time they changed the steering rack (again). They are using an after market one replacing the one they installed when i repaired it first time.
There is some air in the system which I hope will disappear when I keep driving the car, but it is much better.
They said sometimes if there is air in the system it's hard to get rid of and that is why the changed the rack.
How long would it take to bleed the system. With the coronavirus, I drive locally, 10-20 min drives. Maybe next month I may drive to Melbourne (from Sydney)

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think they fitted a dud rack, no way they would swap it out if it wasn't faulty. Shouldn't be that hard to get the air out. The problem is you need to let it settle or the fluid becomes aerated. A couple of short drives should do it fine.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I hope they did that at no cost to you.