Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aftermarket head unit upgrade while retaining factory climate controls

altonarona

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 V6 Berlina Wagon
Been thinking of buying a VE/VZ and want to get a VE, however I have a bunch of stereo upgrades that I want to bring over to the VE platform.

The issue is I hate all the solutions on the market in regards to how they handle climate controls (either too cheap or no physical buttons)

I was thinking of buying the Aerpro kit and hacking up the factory unit/aerpro kit to keep the headunit facia but retain the factory climate controls

Would there be any issues with seperating the PCB's/plugs from the factory unit in doing this? Would any functionality be lost? The aux connector I was thinking I could just run a pass through.

1682906850512.png

1682906983730.png

I was wondering if anyone has heard of or has done this before or if there is any kit on the market that caters to something like this.

Thanks.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I don't see this ending well. Have you seen an Aerpro kit installed. Your proposal will effectively kill it. The buttons are integral to its operation.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Just get the Aerpro kit. Better HVAC integration than the factory one. Always see settings at a glance.

How you want to do it just won’t work. The circuit board will also be cut, so you’ll need to redesign that as well.

It’s going to end up like Homer Simpson’s spice rack.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
As said above - it won't work. The controls are totally different.