Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aerpro vs Alpine Head Unit Fascia Kits for VE Omega Series 1

wgc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Omega MY10
I have a MY2010 VE Omega and I would like to replace the head unit. I'm after something with wireless Apple CarPlay and DAB+. So far I'm thinking of the Apline ILX-507A or the Kenwood DMX7522DABS. If I go with the Kenwood then I will need the Aerpro FP9450 (BK or GK, maybe the GK might look best in an Omega) Head Unit Install Kit. If I go with the Alpine then I have the choice of the Aerpro install kit or the Alpine VE Series 1 Head Unit Upgrade (VES1G3).

The Kenwood and Aerpro option is around $440 cheaper than the Alpine and Aerpro option and about $1000 cheaper than the all Alpine option.

I know some people have reported issues with the Aerpro and their HVAC systems. Is this still an issue and does anyone know if it's widespread and what the fixes are?

Have there been any reported issues with the Alpine upgrade kit? I did see a US review of the Alpine Head Unit and they said it could be a bit temperamental.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
I have a MY2010 VE Omega and I would like to replace the head unit. I'm after something with wireless Apple CarPlay and DAB+. So far I'm thinking of the Apline ILX-507A or the Kenwood DMX7522DABS. If I go with the Kenwood then I will need the Aerpro FP9450 (BK or GK, maybe the GK might look best in an Omega) Head Unit Install Kit. If I go with the Alpine then I have the choice of the Aerpro install kit or the Alpine VE Series 1 Head Unit Upgrade (VES1G3).
Hang on if you have an Omega series 1 then you do not have climate control and need the FP9350 Black or Grey>
The FP9450 is for VE's with dual zone climate control already.
Unless somehow you have an Omega with climate control but I have never seen one but there is always a first time.

Attachments

• szdz.jpg
    szdz.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Aerpro kits don't like having the power disconnected. Each time you do it will likely play up for a week or two and require multiple resets. Things like camera staying in on, and AC not working properly. Apart from that they are pretty ok in my experience. I try to avoid disconnecting the power but sometimes a garage will disconnect power depending on what they are doing. I've had about a month of issues off and on. First time in over six months was with the new battery and then about a week ago when the mech pulled the battery lead when repairing my starter motor. I'm hoping it's now ok.

wgc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Omega MY10
Hang on if you have an Omega series 1 then you do not have climate control and need the FP9350 Black or Grey>
The FP9450 is for VE's with dual zone climate control already.
Unless somehow you have an Omega with climate control but I have never seen one but there is always a first time.
Sorry, you are right. I meant the FP9350

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
I have the Alpine VE S1 upgrade (D/Zone) - ILX702D. The HVAC works fine (now, as I had a [[well-documented here]] broken re-circ door). That said, I find the Alpine HVAC a pain. It works, I just don't like the interface, but that could be me... :rolleyes:. Further, they've added a bunch of stuff that I figure they just wanted to fill it out with. I really do not need a stop watch and lap times... but, each to their own.

The head unit is great with all that you've requested. I have not found the Alpine system a problem (certainly hasn't been temperamental). What I do like is that it is fine with losing power. I disconnected/reconnected about 5 times over 5 days when fixing my HVAC and it never skipped a beat keeping all presets/stations. One power disconnect lasted 2 days.

I am however yet to test whether the Alpine's have incorporated the HVAC actuator re-learn (no joy from Alpine on this question...). I fear this is NOT incorporated but I don't know for sure because I didn't manually test it (I have a Vident scan tool for this so it wasn't a problem). I would recommend making sure your HVAC is working as expected BEFORE replacing head units.
Cheers

Reactions: Lex

Shaun888

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Aerpro kits don't like having the power disconnected. Each time you do it will likely play up for a week or two and require multiple resets. Things like camera staying in on, and AC not working properly. Apart from that they are pretty ok in my experience. I try to avoid disconnecting the power but sometimes a garage will disconnect power depending on what they are doing. I've had about a month of issues off and on. First time in over six months was with the new battery and then about a week ago when the mech pulled the battery lead when repairing my starter motor. I'm hoping it's now ok.

Did your unit show F instead of C? When I reset it by holding both knobs in it resets to C but the right knob doesn’t work.. Tried multiple resets to the same issue. Did you keep resetting till it came good or did it come good on its own?

Contacted aerpro and they just said to disconnect battery for 30 minutes and unplug unit from the canbus…. Pulled the fuse in the boot with battery disconnected but that did nothing.

Attachments

• IMG_2931.jpeg
    IMG_2931.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 98