Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aftermarket Tinting

pill

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Considering putting the darkest legal tint in my vt, my old tint is peeling.

Does anyone know what the percentage light transmission is the darkest legal for WA?

Also, i have access to discount at super cheap and repco, do you reckon i should try to do it myself? or get one of those tinting places to do it? Is the money worth the hassle?

Also, does anyone with dark tinting reckon it keeps the car cooler?

Thanks

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Maximum legal is 35% all round (except for windscreen of course). Maximum 10% reflection, so mirror tint is illegal also.

Get them to do it as your current tint needs to be removed first and that is tricky on the rear window because of the demisters.

And yes it will help keep the car a little cooler.

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
May I also add... Ive heard stories of people getting a metal film tint and not being able to use their central locking unless they press the remote from the windscreen end.
I dont know if this is true or not but its something to keep in mind:)

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
May I also add... Ive heard stories of people getting a metal film tint and not being able to use their central locking unless they press the remote from the windscreen end.
I dont know if this is true or not but its something to keep in mind:)

95% of tint used these days is metallic tint, except for the odd $100 special. It's 10x better than the dyed tint which fades and turns random shades of purple etc. :p

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
defff get the tiniting place to do it u dont want the head ****

VT SERIES II

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
is that the reflecty one that fades up?

nick3110

2.5" Catback
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina S2
yer u definitely don't wanna do it yourself.. cause it is very easy to stuff up.. leave it to the professionals..

and yes it makes a considerable difference to the temperature of ur car.. and plus it makes the entire car look better :)

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
Believe it or not but most tint companys encourage people to DIY.
Its really not as hard as it looks. The only hard part is getting the old tint off.
These days they supply full instructions with DIY kits aswell as phone support.

When I first started professional tinting 9 years ago we never had any instructions lol, but it was still simple stuff.

FadeToBlack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Calais L67
Well I got mine done by someone who used to own a tint a car franchise, he said it was hard to find people skilled at tinting.. I reckon take it to a professional (that means no tint professor) at least you will get a quality job and if anything is wrong you can get it fixed. Also darkest legal is pretty light, a lot of people get slightly darker. Up to you but you can ask whoever your getting it done by to get their opinion as well.