Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Bag Light

Chris

Reaction score
After having some unrelated work done on my car the air bag light now on all the time
any ideas how to fix this
it was air con i had done and they did not fix it anyway
see other post reply

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
check your fuses or take it back and say i payed for fixed aircon not broken airbag and broked aircon

Chris

Reaction score
checked fuses they are okay any other ideas

it may just have happened im not blaming the reapairer

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
If the fuses are all ok I would check the plugs located in where all the fuses are under the steering column.

If you have a passenger air bag there will be two plugs otherwise just one.

The wiring usually has like a yellow cover around it.

Failing that I would suggest taking it back there and see whether it's possible they disconnect something and didn't put it back, do you know what they did to your a/c? This may give us a bit more of an indication of whether anything for the air bag system was touched.

Chris

Reaction score
Ihave spoken to them they said they didnt do anything
it was just a regas whic they couldnt do
i dont have much faith in what they tell me anymore though

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
i have an air bag in my car and the book says if light comes on theres somthing wrong with it (like durrrrr)
but then it goes on to say take it back to a qualified repairer.
cause if you dont it could go off and cost heaps
or it may just not work when you want it too.

personally id take it somewhere to be checked out by a professional.
could be cheaper than replacing it

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VPII Calais
yeh get it checked by HOLDEN... at least for a bit of piece of mind....
THeres not many jobs i rekon u should have to go back to Holden for, but this is one.

a lady got killed when she was driving her car and the airbag inflated WHILE SHE WAS DRIVING stunned her and she ran straight into a pole at 80kmh. she died as the airbag had already deflated by the time of impact and therefore she hit the steering wheel and the airbag was useless.

this was a while back, prolly 2 or 3 years ago, but they could tell that it was a malfunction in the system because the fuse must have previously blown and someone (possibly a garage?) had replaced it with one that was of too high amperage and therefore the circuit didnt break when the fault came up again, the airbag misfired.

scary **** if u ask me! lucky is WASNT in a Holden

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
the sensing diagnostic modual contains a little processor which monitors the operation of they system, it also checks the system every time you start the car up. if there is a fault in the system anywhere, the light will stay on, more than likely it will sensing diagnostic moduel, that's below the driver's seat, that's prety much all that can go wrong, all that's in a srsairbag system is a main wiring harnes, to a clock spring coil, (in the steering column) the inflator, and the diag modual.

if the airbag light comes on during normal driving conditions, take car to holden straight away. only holden have the tool for checking the srs airbag setup on the vr, ford have one for the ford's, and likewise. dont try to troubleshoot this yourself, youwill set the thing off. it's to save lives, you dont wanna mess with this

you can disable the system, but you wont have airbag's, and you wont have any insurance if in a crash.

by the way, srs airbag stands for supplemental restraint system, hence the srs acronym

cheers
garth

p.s. the airbag system is a completly free standing circuit, it has it's own little computer and everything, nothing is connected in anyway to the srs system. holden have a tool that can "scan" the circuit

V

vlturbo

My olds have this same problem after they took it to a holden dealer for a service they also said they didnt do it, in my opion i would buy a car from holden but never get them to service it or do any major work unless its covered by the warranty.

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Funny you should say about the air bag light Garth.

Someone I once knew had a hire car and drove from Adelaide to Perth, the air bag light was on the whole way. They dropped the fairlane into the Fordgery dealer and couldn't believe they had driven all that distance, according to them it could have gone off at anytime.

You could just imagine it, your flying along the highway (doing the speed limit of course) when all of a sudden the air bag flies out at you.