Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Box & Ducting

C

clinker1212

I agree partially with Boss.

I am pretty sure that the theory of black absorbing heat only works with light. Reflective surfaces reflect the light thus reflecting the heat. Black surfaces absorb light which creates heat in the object.

I would imagine that it would be ok cause it thickens the hose making it harder for heat to penetrate and warm up the air inside. Might work better over small travel distances.

Either way Jafo it looks a lot better then predicted :cool: ;)

Tell us if there is any significant gains with it.

Clint

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
hmmm

Shouldnt the airbox have to be coverd to keep the air coolers too, cause the air would alrady be warm after the airbox if you know what i mean?

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
Salem said:
Shouldnt the airbox have to be coverd to keep the air coolers too, cause the air would alrady be warm after the airbox if you know what i mean?
thats the next step but i know what you mean although the airbox might look a little over the top if you know what i mean.

vs_berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Berlina
I'm impressed by how it turned out, looks quite professional (not as tacky as one would quite imagine!).
Is there any place that sells that stuff retail? I'm looking for a similar material, mainly to run spark plug leads for drivers side as currently they sit run straight accross the block, surely can't be doing any good for them.

Overall, i'd give it a ;)

dsvtss

Reaction score
Reflective surfaces like this will reflect radiated heat as well, not just heat related to the sun (Year 8 science if i remember), so the theory behind it is good. But i agree that the airbox should be done as well, because this now the point where the air will get heated up.

T

t3zza

If anyone really recons this will give you any sort of power gain, your wrong. Good idea though, but at the end of the day, the black pipe work does not getting warmer for being black as their is no light as stated by a few people as well. But another factor would be that the air in the pipe does not stand there for long periods thus unable to heat up. The amount of air intake required to burn the fuel is quite amazing. Its like your garden hose, when you are watering the garding and the hose in the sunlight, the temputer change won't change at all cause the water is flowing freely and doesn't have change to absorb and heat.... If you would be this fussy their are a million of other things that you can improve / tweak to give you better performance out of ya engine, Just a thought though :)

Terry

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
vs berlina the stuff i got was from work im sure you can buy it somewhere but i dont know where if you were in adelaide i could give you some for free.

as for using this stuff for leads i would not recomend it. your better off going to holden and get the black plastic tube that you put around your leads much easier.

t3zza i agree with what you are saying but the radiant heat from the headers heats the black pipe. now with this reflective stuff the pipe dont get hot anymore so it has to be doing somthing.

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
actually im thinking of putting a temp probe in the pipe run the car till its at operating temp take a reading then swap pipes over with a friends and do the same thing again to see if it it making a difference.

i'll let you all know when i get a chance to do it.