Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Con bearing noise

Bee_rad

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Equipe Sedan
Hi all,
Newbee poster here, but I have been reading the threads for a little while and found this forum very helpful. I've done a search but couldn't find any threads that seemed to match my issue.
My '05 VZ V6 has just developed a noise in the air con, a bearing I believe. I'm confident it is the air con as the bearing noise only appears when I turn the air con on. I haven't run the air con for a month maybe, I try to run it regularly but been slack.
I suppose my question is two-fold.
1) Does it sound like I'm right, it being an air con bearing, and
2) Is it a problem driving the car, providing I keep the air con OFF. No noise if air con is off.

As I'm currently "between positions" if I don't have to get the air con fixed straight away I'd like to save the money.

Thanks for any advice.

holdenvtman1123

Improvise Adapt Overcome
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com.au
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6 2006 3.6L
sounds like the clutch bearing on the a/c compressor, u will be ok to run while off.

Bee_rad

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Equipe Sedan
Thanks holdenvtman
I can't believe it, but when I started her up today to have a listen, not a bloody sound. I'm thinking it might have been some crud in the bearing that just needed a run to get rid of. Or it could just be teasing and about to seize up. Anyway thanks for your reply.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's ok to not use the AC but it pays to run it at least once a week as this keeps the lubricating oil moving which stops the seals hardening and leaking out the gas.