Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Conditioning Advice

JazzyJezza77

Jezza
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
could be a short in the fan motor itself i used to kick under the passenger side dash at the fan in a lot of the commodores to get em going the bearings go in them they get noisy then they seize and drag a lot of current and blow the fuse. Try disconnecting the fan motor and then replace fuse check power accross the pins at the connector. hey if you want pull the fan out and hook it up to a battery if it doesnt go bin it.

JazzyJezza77

Jezza
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
air cons make a hissing noise from the vents when they are low on gas sounds like your pressures are a bit low the noise is the gass cycling through the evaporator , whoever gassed it needs to re check it pressures on guage should be approx 200psi high 30-50 low.

JazzyJezza77

Jezza
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
what i recomend is a/c deodoriser and antibacterial treatment. I have brought and used some from Mazda its pretty cheap easy to do just put ac on fresh air pop the bonnet and spray through the passenger side plenum cover under the wiper blades where there is an opening if you put your ear to it you can hear the ac blower fan sucking air.

mattievsute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Ute
Hi,
I was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I took my VS ute in for a aircon service and re-gas (with fluro dye) , and as it turns out a couple of weeks down the track its leaking out of the top of the reciever drier and around the nuts/pipe fittings. The mechanic said that in order to replace the pipes and drier filter they had to replace the condenser as well (even thought he said it works perfectly) because the pipes are directly attached, which is another 200 bucks + a lot more labour. I'd like to know if he's having me on and theres another way to replace the pipes and dryer filter without replacing the condenser too. could someone please help me with this?

Regards Matt

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
Hi,
I was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I took my VS ute in for a aircon service and re-gas (with fluro dye) , and as it turns out a couple of weeks down the track its leaking out of the top of the reciever drier and around the nuts/pipe fittings. The mechanic said that in order to replace the pipes and drier filter they had to replace the condenser as well (even thought he said it works perfectly) because the pipes are directly attached, which is another 200 bucks + a lot more labour. I'd like to know if he's having me on and theres another way to replace the pipes and dryer filter without replacing the condenser too. could someone please help me with this?

Regards Matt

nah he's not havng you on. one line is welded to condensor, the other one goes all the way up to the cabin. very common problem for these to cause trouble on a commodore.

mattievsute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Ute
Hmm i was afriad that might be the case, oh well. Thanks for that mate.

Regards Matt

pecksterism99

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
diagnosing sun sensor issue vr calais

According to my climate control diagnostics there is a problem with the sun sensor. It's been intermittent for a while.

So I levered the sensor out from its hole, and while it is working OK (no "X" in the display) there is around 4 -5 volts between the orange lead terminal and earth (or between orange and black).

In diagnostic mode (when the sensor os OK) you can see the sensor change its value as you shine more light on it etc, and when it is OK, the aircon works just fine.

But when it is failing, there is no voltage there at all, the aircon then works overtime and there doesn't seem to be any temp. control happening.

I believe the sensor is a light sensitive diode - and it definitely conducts only one way.

But why no voltage? If it was going open circuit that voltage would be much higher, maybe 12V. And if it was shorting, it'd be dead all the time surely. My experience with dud diodes is they they are either shorted or open circuit and nothing in between.

So before I buy a new sensor (about $70 new!) I was wondering if this indicates a problem elsewhere, like in the climate control module itself???

I have checked the plugs/sockets going to the climate control, all connections look good.

Kurtp

VR Buicks > You ;)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 V6 Sedan
My AC Hadn't been ran for 1/5 years, didn't work when i got it. Went and got it vacuum tested and re gassed. And she works! All this time not running and all it needed was a re gas haha. :beer chug:

Roachie305

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II commodore EXEC
G'day mate

I'm thinking of buying a VS SII acclaim and the old lady who currently owns it, has had a problem with the A/C, the fan works but the air isnt cold.

AS SHE TELLS US, the person who checked it out for her said it wasnt worth replacing because quote (you wouldnt get your money back in the sale)... im thinking this is going to be a hell of an expensive repair job.

just wondering whether you have some advice for me about it... she wants 3.7k for it, now i know im not paying that much for a car that has no a/c so if she calls me because she cant sell it, i think i might make an offer depending on how much it costs to replace the A/C unit.
what am i looking at paying, in a worst case scenario.
cheers:beer chug:

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
G'day mate

I'm thinking of buying a VS SII acclaim and the old lady who currently owns it, has had a problem with the A/C, the fan works but the air isnt cold.

AS SHE TELLS US, the person who checked it out for her said it wasnt worth replacing because quote (you wouldnt get your money back in the sale)... im thinking this is going to be a hell of an expensive repair job.

just wondering whether you have some advice for me about it... she wants 3.7k for it, now i know im not paying that much for a car that has no a/c so if she calls me because she cant sell it, i think i might make an offer depending on how much it costs to replace the A/C unit.
what am i looking at paying, in a worst case scenario.
cheers:beer chug:

What sort of mileage is on the car? If its reasonably low it would be worth fixing, if you plan on having the car for a while. Obviously it will need a re gas, assuming that the compressor hasn't failed. If you are able to inspect the car, check that the compressor actually engages when you turn the A/C on, if it does it might be low on gas, if it doesn't chances are there is no gas at all, and its a safety thing to prevent damage to the compressor itself. The gas has leaked out somewhere along the line, and will continue to do so unless you repair the area its leaking. A lot of the time its on the evaporator, which is behind the dash, so its a dash out job, and you would be looking at atleast $1000 for that, mainly due to the labour involved. I'd also be replacing the heater core at the same time, as they also rust out and fail, and by doing both at once, you save $1000 by not having to pull apart the whole dash again!

If its the compressor at fault, a new one is around the $600 mark from memory... but worth getting an auto elec or air con place to run a few tests to check it all out first.