Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Airbox Explosion

petert

Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my Vu ute at the moment .Mechanic suggeted holes in the air box with the rubber over them but i am not convinced of a positave seal to keep the muck out , their must be something availably that is more professional than this. The better solution is to fix the problem, all that Holden can say is this is a common problem with this system well why do the sell it.

Peter

squizzytaylor

Reaction score
This a super common problem on all LPG cars, I had an EL falcon (sorry to swear guys) company car and modified the airbox by removing the spring clips and fitting a series of 4 springs to it, worked great and no more damaged airboxes or blown off hoses. Dual fuel cars rarely run right on both petrol and lpg as they operate and burn effeciently at different temperatures and therefore require different heat ranges in spark plugs. Most are set up to run on LPG as the primary fuel source.

GT

daggett

Crazy Tiger
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Wagon
I have a VT Series 1 on LPG and Petrol. I have the problems on the airbox explosion. Make sure your spark plugs and leads are gas rated and are 100%. No more problems for me. By LPG rated oil as well.

petert

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions Chis
Mechanic checked the leads and plugs and adjusted the mixture but it still backfired while driving home. I use Mobil Super XHP which is LPG approved what oil do you use?

Peter

R

RoK-LeGenD

Yeah, my VN does the same thing, i cut a 50 mil hole in the airbox and put rubber over it so the rubber blows off instead of the air box, but the car didn't run well after that so i fitted a pod filter that i got from super cheap auto for about 15 bucks, not more bying air boxes for me :yeah:

C

Camotec

Pressure caused by a Backfire explosion can be severe, try shaking up a VB Can and pegging it onto the road from a distance, make sure you give it some height, (when there are no cars around) that should explain it.

A mate of mine with a Nissan Gazelle on gas backfired through the inlet manifold and pretty much took care of the AFM (which is actually part of the airbox on these cars)

Cheers
Ben

R

RKZ234

Backfiring in LPG cars is common if not properly maintained.

It is mostly caused by
1. Poor tune (VITAL TO GET RIGHT)
2. Worn Spark Plugs
3. Standard Spark Plugs or Plugs of an incorrect heat rating
4. Any combination of the above.

You should not have to cut holes in the box and cover hole with tape or any other such backyard type modification, like somone else has suggested. Whilst doing so may help to avoid the exploding air box symptom, it doesn't address the cause of the backfiring problem at the source.

Last edited by a moderator:

buddah

Reaction score
i had the same problem. my car backfired throught the airfilter and blew the **** out of it.
I now have an air pod (lags the car on hot days).
also adjust your plugs to 0.9 and replace your leads

C

clubsport74

hi there if you have the factory gas fitted to a commodore(there will be a plate riveted to the passenger side strut tower or just above the o/s head light)you HAVE to keep the original airbox and fitler,because the holden computer which also controlls the gas is calibrated to suit the factory setup,I have found that using the pod style fitlers cause leaning out problems.also the impco gas mixer relies on a sight vacuum caused by the airfilter to work properly,if you put a pod filter in there it reduses the vacuum.It is not a good idea to leave the hose clamps on the inlet pipes loose for the above mentioned reason.Ignition problems cause 99% of backfires on LPG vehicles, start there!!!

ps any other LPG questions feel free to ask!!!
ppss the factory holden setup is the best lpg setup ever,when it is tuned by someone who knows what they are doing.....................like moir.

petert

Reaction score
Does that mean that a K&N panel filter is not suitable either???
Peter